Oil Change

Options
murrays2
murrays2 Posts: 133 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Morning All,

I could hear the chain on my car a few months back. The oil pressure switch had busted and when I checked the oil level it was dangerously low on oil. I topped up with oil and the chain noise went away.

This was about 3-4 months ago. The noise has come back intermittently. Sometimes I can hear it whilst driving, other times like this morning I've been driving for 20 minutes and I can't hear it.

I last had the oil filter changed last July, about 15k miles ago along with the oil. Since I topped up 3-4 months ago, would I still need to change the oil? My understanding is that the filter would need changed anyway as it is due one.

Do you imagine this would help with the chain noise, or is this a sign of the chain going bad? I had a mechanic look at the chain about 6 months ago and he said I would be throwing my money away if I changed it, and that Corsa chains are noisy.

Notes - car has plenty of oil in it now
Oil low a few months back so topped up
Do I still need to change the oil / filter?

Car is a Corsa 1.2 2009

Please advise and many thanks.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 July 2019 at 9:21AM
    Options
    Changing the oil does not just replace the oil it also removes all the crud from the sump which is sploshing about in that oil.

Oil needs changing in accordance with the service schedule so get it done. Any damage to the engine has already been done by running low on oil. The pressure switch is not there to tell you to top up, it is there to tell you that your engine is in serious danger of damage due to low oil pressure - oil PRESSURE not LEVEL. The dipstick is there to check the oil level and should be done weekly especially if, as in your case, the car is using oil.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Isn't the Corsa engine prone to chain failure due to weak tensioners being used- I'm sure I've read this on here many times previously.

Op- you car is due an oil change now.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are hearing the chain rattle when previously it didn't, and the car has oil, then it might be getting close to the point where you do need to change the chain. The mechanic might regard it as throwing your money away, but if the car is likely to last more than a year in other respects, I think it could be worth it. The mechanic may not want the work, so shop around for a good price. I would get the water pump changed at the same time, unless you have irrefutable evidence it has been done in the last 20,000 miles. Make sure they will refill the coolant system with new coolant.

I think I would leave changing the oil until the timing chain is done, if you are going to get it done within the next couple of months. Don't leave it any longer.

If you can't afford the timing chain work, start saving for a new car instead.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • murrays2
    murrays2 Posts: 133 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks folks. Getting it done today.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes. Good practise to change oil & filter every year. Remember to check fluids, tyre pressure et al.
    No way to diagnose a noise on a forum. It would be expensive to change timing chain & probably not worth it on a 2009 Corsa. It may be unlikely but, if timing chain fails you are looking at a wrecked engine.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport