My Barclays Interest Only Mortgage Term Ends in January 2020

I'm 64 and still working and plan to do so until I get to 67.

I have had an interest only mortgage for 19 years with Barclays, which ends in January next year, and I currently owe £21k, which I've been paying off at £500 per month plus interest for the last 18 months.

I got a letter from Barclays today, saying that I need to make arrangements to pay off the balance next January, or call them to make an arrangement.

I phoned them this evening to ask for a 2 year extension to my mortgage term (I've never missed any payments and have a great credit rating), and the call centre guy said that I would need to consult a motgage advisor. I will have paid the full amount off within 2 years.

I don't need a mortgage advisor as I have planned the payments - what do you think is my best option?

Cheers

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Is that an internal mortgage adviser? Lenders are required to perform affordability checks. Unfortunately your word is no longer sufficient.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Speak to an internal Mortgage Advisor at Barclays and sell them on your approach. If they don't agree, speak to a mortgage broker to see if they can find a replacement mortgage, but I doubt they will be able to, although asking to borrowing £25K+ might work - you can always put the excess on deposit and use it to make overpayments.

An unsecured personal loan might be your option of last resort. One advantage of a personal loan is that there is much less danger that you will lose your house if you can't make repayments for any reason.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • normanna
    normanna Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you are advised to discuss your options with one of their advisers then you will need to do so. They are under no obligation to extend your term at all or even on existing terms. Remember, a nice soft approach will be best as you will have not complied with your terms and conditions and you are looking for them to help you out.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Keep paying the £500 every month without fail.
    When they send you letters just tell them you are paying down the debt and hope to be mortgage free in X number of month.
    If they can see you have made £4,5,6,000 worth of debt repayments over the last 8/10/12 months they would struggle to reprocess the property.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If they wont extend the Term you should find they will let the case run if 'the property is on the market for sale'.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thanks all for the advice - I have £28k in a Mutual Wealth Investment fund which I could withdraw to pay off the mortgage, but because I earn £30k pa and also receive a pension of around £16.5k, I have to pay tax on withdrawals - potentially 40%?
    What do you reckon?
  • Talk to their mortgage adviser. Your obligation as it stands is to pay off the mortgage in Jan 2020.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    I cant see them going through the repossession process when it is clear the balance will be cleared.

If all else fails, you could just go to Tesco/Sainsburys and take out a £19k loan to clear the mortgage and earn some clubcard points at probably a similar rate to the mortgage.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure