Harvey's Delivery Delayed

Options
Hi all

Hopefully I'm in the right place for some advice

Purchased a sofa in full over 2 debit cards and cash 3 weeks sgo to be delivered tomorrow. We were shocked that it was able to be delivered so soon so the sofa we were offered as temporary from a family member was given away to someone else as we are moving into said property on thursday/friday this week, so we didnt need something in the gap between moving in and getting the sofa. We were moving from family for the first time to our own place which is unfurnished

Monday last week I was called by Harvey's saying that they were delivering at the very earliest late August, though would more than likely be September now.

I was fuming as every penny I budgeted for getting furniture & living expenses etc had been spent or set aside. I cant afford to go out and buy something in the meantime. The guy on the phone was the least helpful person on this earth when I advised him of this, and asked where am i supposed to sit. I explained my situation and that I actually have problems with my back and knee so sitting on the floor on some cushions for a month or more is absolutely out of the question.

I was so angry he was not willing to help at all. I called into the store and they said they cant do anything in store, but whenever I tried to call I would either be in a massive queue or it would cut off.

I paid £69 for delivery and was given the dates available for delivery in front of me on a computer screen, which were different to a previous sofa I was looking at, so they cant say it was human error.

I'm definitely looking at compensation from them now as I will be without a sofa. Has anyone had issues with the same thing? Man in store told me to not accept first offer of compensation. Man my partner spoke to on the phone said delivery first then we will talk compo. I've only now been offered a loan sofa application despite asking if they did such a thing on the initial phone call only to be ignored :mad:

Any advice?

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Leigh23 wrote: »
    Hi all

Hopefully I'm in the right place for some advice

Purchased a sofa in full over 2 debit cards and cash 3 weeks sgo to be delivered tomorrow. We were shocked that it was able to be delivered so soon so the sofa we were offered as temporary from a family member was given away to someone else as we are moving into said property on thursday/friday this week, so we didnt need something in the gap between moving in and getting the sofa. We were moving from family for the first time to our own place which is unfurnished

Monday last week I was called by Harvey's saying that they were delivering at the very earliest late August, though would more than likely be September now.

I was fuming as every penny I budgeted for getting furniture & living expenses etc had been spent or set aside. I cant afford to go out and buy something in the meantime. The guy on the phone was the least helpful person on this earth when I advised him of this, and asked where am i supposed to sit. I explained my situation and that I actually have problems with my back and knee so sitting on the floor on some cushions for a month or more is absolutely out of the question.

I was so angry he was not willing to help at all. I called into the store and they said they cant do anything in store, but whenever I tried to call I would either be in a massive queue or it would cut off.

I paid £69 for delivery and was given the dates available for delivery in front of me on a computer screen, which were different to a previous sofa I was looking at, so they cant say it was human error.

I'm definitely looking at compensation from them now as I will be without a sofa. Has anyone had issues with the same thing? Man in store told me to not accept first offer of compensation. Man my partner spoke to on the phone said delivery first then we will talk compo. I've only now been offered a loan sofa application despite asking if they did such a thing on the initial phone call only to be ignored :mad:

Any advice?
    Pursue the loan sofa route, given that your health requires it. Failing that, look on freecycle or similar for a temporary sofa.

As for compensation, what do you have in mind? What costs are you incurring from the delay? No harm in asking for a discount but bear in mind you're not entitled to anything so don't be too aggressive or you may end up with nothing.
  • Leigh23
    Leigh23 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah good idea.

Ideally I want my delivery money back for a start as they havent delivered as they said they would. If I hadnt paid in full I'd not be bothered about anything else but I borrowed £300 off my dad to pay what I didn't have and need to pay him back £100 a month. I'd never be aggressive I work on telephone customer services myself but being really nice didnt even help on the last call I did :( so if they could give me £100 ish at least that will cover this months what I owe to my dad even though I've nothing to show for the money he did let me borrow :O
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    When buying sofas the lesson is it's always better to have two sofas than none.
    Never get rid of your own until the new one is on your doorstep. Even if the old one has to go in the front garden/garage. There will always be someone on Facebook happy to collect a free sofa.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Leigh23 wrote: »
    Yeah good idea.

Ideally I want my delivery money back for a start as they havent delivered as they said they would. If I hadnt paid in full I'd not be bothered about anything else but I borrowed £300 off my dad to pay what I didn't have and need to pay him back £100 a month. I'd never be aggressive I work on telephone customer services myself but being really nice didnt even help on the last call I did :( so if they could give me £100 ish at least that will cover this months what I owe to my dad even though I've nothing to show for the money he did let me borrow :O
    The trouble is, I doubt they'll give you anything imminently, it's most likely to be dealt with once the sofa has been delivered.

You're welcome to ignore this next bit of advice because it's none of my business, but reading this and your original post suggests funds are very tight. Having to borrow £300 for a sofa when you're moving into your first home is concerning because it suggests you don't have a contingency fund. If you're buying this property, you need to build up a fund to cover things like a broken boiler and other things that will go wrong, and if you're renting, for things like a dead appliance. If you haven't done so, set up a spreadsheet to help you budget and build that contingency fund. It was good advice I followed when I got my first place and it was needed for a leaking toilet, a failed heating pump and a couple of new windows.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new home!
  • Leigh23
    Leigh23 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    We bought the sofa because they had such a short wait for the sofa. We ordered 3 weeks in advance which we were surprised by and that's one of the reasons why we went there. I would have got one on ebay or something otherwise. As I said I'm moving from my parents so I didn't have a sofa to begin with hence I had to buy one.

Oh dont worry :) I actually have a couple of grand saved but its towards a house along with a h2b ISA so I'm trying my best not to touch it. I hadnt been paid when we got the sofa so dad helped me out :) I'm actually savvy with my money I was gonna pay the 500 off and then pay the rest over a couple of months but he didnt want me to have the debit so insisted he helped.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure