Cash Back Shell/Egg

Options
Not sure if this is the right place as this is my first post but Egg are offering 2% cashback when you use your card at participating Shell petrol stations for the next month or so. As long as you remember to pay your bill in full at the end of each month I think this is a good deal with the state of petrol prices at the moment!:rotfl:

Comments

• GlennTheBaker
    Options
    I just spotted this too when logging into my Egg online banking. The link showing the offer is HERE.
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Assumes that Shell aren't a tiny bit dearer than others of course to make itself pay.

Just noticed That Egg Card has gone to '14 months' on balance transfers for new customers (with 3% fee)
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    Options
    Expect all Egg products to change as they are now part of Citibank.
    ac's lovechild
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just use my ASDA credit card when filling up at my local Asda - which always seems to be the cheapest per litre anyway - and they give you an INSTANT 2p a litre off the pump price when you pay for it.

Now at about £1 a litre this equates to the same of a 2% cashback (except you get it instantly) BUT since my Mondeo RUNS ON LPG at ONLY 43.9 a litre - my 2p a litre works out much nearer a 5% "cashback consideration"

Sadly until very recently I was only paying 39.9p (less 2p) a litre. :(
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • glennw
    glennw Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely this should be called the Eggshell offer?

No, and don't call me shirley.

I'll get me coat...!
  • equitydealer
    Options
    I can confirm that this works, used my Egg money card and received the cash back immediately on my online statement :T
  • glennw
    glennw Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    More details of the eggshell(!) offer are available on egg's website now, see here: http://new.egg.com/promotionaloffer?param=180810093125801
    Get an incredible 2% instant cash back on all fuel purchases at participating Shell Service Stations* in Great Britain from now right through until 31 January 2008. To take advantage of this fantastic offer, just pay with your Egg credit card.
    Your cash back will be credited to your Egg credit card at the same time as your transaction appears.
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    Options
    I just realised that because Citibank now own Egg, that this is just another play on the Citibank Shell Card promotion.

I have a Citibank Shell card as a replacement for the old RBS Shell card.

I am now totally confused ... what cashback am I supposed to be getting on the Citibank Shell card now (I am passed the end of the initial promotional period) - do I get 1%, 2% or is it 3% on that one? I do know new Citibank Shell cardholders get 5% for a period.
  • dunnomate
    Options
    Shell petrol is often at least 2% higher than other petrol stations - so negates any benefit !
    No Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    Options
    dunnomate wrote:
    Shell petrol is often at least 2% higher than other petrol stations - so negates any benefit !

Interestingly perhaps, that's generally not true of diesel prices, dunnomate, especially in the London area and East Anglia in which I buy fuel regularly. It may have deliberately become generally 1p more expensive than the very cheapest in the last couple of months ... but I haven't decided what they are up to yet except that the retailers between them have ratcheted the prices chronically since the Chancellor's 2p addition. I was paying 93.9 before that day. Oil prices per barrel have swung widely since then by as much as 15% or 20%, but pump prices have only gone one way.

You are right based on medium term history, but I think it was two or three years ago when things changed and then the cheapest diesel anywhere in London or East Anglia was always invariably a Shell station. Maybe not the same station each month, I think they took it in turns to be a penny cheaper locally in some parts. I am thinking particularly of the Shell stations just off the A13 at Barking and at Ilford, the SHell station on the A414 just off the M11 at Harlow, and the four of five Shell stations in Norwich.

I have also perhaps optimistically 'hoped' that Shell fuel might be a bit better for my engine than supermarket fuel.

As a foil to the ratcheting racket (it's illegal cartel behaviour BTW) I'd like to know how and why the Danes have a quaint custom where you can still get pump prices 5% to 10% cheaper every Sunday night/Monday morning until 10 am. Anyone know what that's about and why we can't have it too?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure