New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Oily fish in Asian supermarkets

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
gesdt50gesdt50 Forumite
29 posts
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
As someone who has lived in east central London for almost 20 years I have discovered tons of Asian supermarkets, I have spent a lot of time researching all the spices and seeds, nuts available in them and there asian names - a good few of these Asian supermarkets have as much food items & in some cases possibly more than the big 4 traditional supermarkets do if you exclude electrials and clothing etc . ., I have also seen some of them that have over 20 types of different fish available, however its a lot harder to translate or get good research done on which fish is which as unlike the spices a lot of the spices in the big 4 supermarkets are recognisable to whats in the asian ones.

I am trying to find 1 or 2 good oily fish like herring, sprats, sardines which are hard to get in the big 4 as they are cheap and the big 4 don't make that much money off them, indeed tesco is actually closing down there fish counters in even the big superstores, checked regulary in Morrision and Asda they just don't sell them now mostly.

I have asked in a few Asian supermarkets which fish are oily the staff did suggest some however when I went hme and researched the name from the pack they wern't classed as been oily fish

What I'm trying to get at is does anyone know 1 or 2 of the oily types thats available in the Asian supermarkets ?
Thanks for any help suggested ?