Which Holiday Website?

Options
We're looking to book a holiday for next summer, some of the sites are allowing bookings up to August 2020 I've noticed.

Just wondered which sites people use/recommend?

I've found that onthebeach.co.uk seems to be one of the cheapest with good options, but any others worth a try?

We have a large party (6 children) so would like to be together, is there a trick to doing this as most of the hotels only cater for 3 per room. Two rooms together would be OK, cvan you specify this when booking?

Thanks for any advice.
Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We're looking to book a holiday for next summer, some of the sites are allowing bookings up to August 2020 I've noticed.

Just wondered which sites people use/recommend?

I've found that onthebeach.co.uk seems to be one of the cheapest with good options, but any others worth a try?

We have a large party (6 children) so would like to be together, is there a trick to doing this as most of the hotels only cater for 3 per room. Two rooms together would be OK, cvan you specify this when booking?

Thanks for any advice.

Depends what sort of holiday you're looking for., and your budget.

I've used Jet2 holidays twice recently, one for a city break in a hotel and one for a beach holiday in fabulous self catering apartment. Both very good value, comfortable flights and great customer service.

Just had a quick look and you can book summer holiday eg to Portugal in August & September 2020. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them:)
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks, will look at them.

We just want a typical package holiday, pool, near a beach, warm and sunny.

In the past we've hired villas and driven down, south of France typically but now the kids are older we are happier for us to have two or three separate rooms, but we would like the rooms to be together if possible. I assume booking well in advance will help with that.

Budget is up to around £2-£3k (coud stretch to £4k) for the flights and accommodation etc, we know we'll need more for food and spending money etc.

Probably prefer self catering, maybe B&B as we like to eat out.

Did Greece (Crete) last year and that was great, we found we could eat out on a night for about 60 Euros for all of us including drinks which was a bargain. In the UK it's well over £100 just for Pizza Express!

Greece is a definite candidate, would prefer somewhere other than Crete for some variety, also considering Portugal.

Has to be school holidays , late August probably.
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I’ve booked with Jet2 before with no hassles and the holiday was great (bonus with the £60 deposit per person as helps keep down the initial outlay)

We’ve had 2 bookings with on the beach. The first we were booked to go to Benalmedena as a package but the flights were with monarch who went bust 10days before our trip. They were great and we were refunded through their ABTA scheme no problems. We have booked to go away with them this year and have had no issues so far with bookings etc
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks, will look at them.

We just want a typical package holiday, pool, near a beach, warm and sunny.

In the past we've hired villas and driven down, south of France typically but now the kids are older we are happier for us to have two or three separate rooms, but we would like the rooms to be together if possible. I assume booking well in advance will help with that.

Budget is up to around £2-£3k (coud stretch to £4k) for the flights and accommodation etc, we know we'll need more for food and spending money etc.

Probably prefer self catering, maybe B&B as we like to eat out.

Did Greece (Crete) last year and that was great, we found we could eat out on a night for about 60 Euros for all of us including drinks which was a bargain. In the UK it's well over £100 just for Pizza Express!

Greece is a definite candidate, would prefer somewhere other than Crete for some variety, also considering Portugal.

Has to be school holidays , late August probably.

Stayed here in early June.

https://www.jet2holidays.com/portugal/algarve/albufeira/alpinus-hotel?ds_rl=1206481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy-zJ0dXD4wIVhrHtCh3kJA_ZEAAYASAAEgJOgvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Big hotel in quiet resort, well equipped for self catering but they do B&B & other board basis. Walking distance to amazing beach. Bars, restaurants & supermarket even closer. Some activities for kids, and some family evening entertainment.

Doesn't have to be 7 or 14 days, so some flexibility. Can book several rooms & I'm sure you could ask for them to be close together.

Might not be what you're looking for and I'm going to stop now as I sound like an advert for Jet2. I'm not:D but was very impressed.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What ever you do, DO NOT use teletext holidays for your booking,they look cheap but the number of people who come on here and complain about the " Extra payments required" and the poor level of service avoid like the plague.
    I also reccommend Jet2,have used them about a dozen times and so far no coplaints.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • scaredofdebt
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    What ever you do, DO NOT use teletext holidays for your booking,they look cheap but the number of people who come on here and complain about the " Extra payments required" and the poor level of service avoid like the plague.
    I also reccommend Jet2,have used them about a dozen times and so far no coplaints.

Funnily enough we used them last year and they were OK for us but I have read a few bad reviews so probably will be cautious in future.
  • scaredofdebt
    Options
    Thanks everyone, looking at Jet2 now, it is a bit more expensive but once you factor in luggage and transfers etc it's very competitive and they do offer the odd free kids place so may well go with that.
  • scaredofdebt
    Options
    Anyone know if prices for August 2020 are likely to go up much before now and the end of August?

Had a heavy month with new bathroom and car problems so it's more affordable (the deposit) if we wait until after August pay day, but if prices are likely to jump I'll probably book next week.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »

I'd also look at reviews for onthebeach before I booked with them.

If you want a 'typical package holiday' be aware that onthebeach do not do package holidays in the way that TUI (for example) do.
    They cobble together flights and accommodation.
  • TomokoAdhami
    TomokoAdhami Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I like Google Flights, Kayak, Jack’s Flight Club and Travelzoo.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure