PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Where do I stand!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stop fixating on the perceived misrepresentation, whether deliberate or accidental.

Either walk away and move on, or attempt to renegotiate the price, or ignore the matter and buy the property as planned.

As I understand it, the house is being offered to you along with a lease for the drive so there's really no issue unless either the lease is of limited length and thus the drive might be lost,or there's a meaningful rent on the lease (which seems unlikely).

But since you've declined to tell us what the lease says (despite having it) we cannot comment more specifically!
  • babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,934 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The only thing I don't understand is when your solicitor got the details from LR right at the start this surely would show that there is also a leasehold
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The house has a drive - what exactly are the terms of the lease?

Is it so long ( my first property had a 999 year lease) that it is virtually insignificant?
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think you are referring to the Sales Particulars you saw from the Estate Agent. These are not always accurate because the Estate Agent may never have asked the seller whether the drive belonged to them and the seller obviously didn't mention it. So the Estate Agent produces a glossy brochure/print out to advertise the property for sale, with the purpose of selling it. You view the property, make an offer based on the sales particulars and what you have seen when you viewed the property. I assume you didn't ask the seller whether the drive belonged to them, because just like the Estate Agent, you assumed it was the seller's and the seller didn't volunteer any information (because he didn't know, or didn't want to disclose?). Sales Particulars are not legally binding - there is a disclaimer on them to state that they may not be accurate.

You have appointed a solicitor to act in your best interests and they have found out that the drive is leased. That's what you're paying them to do. So, now you have to decide what you want to do about it, whether that is walking away, renegotiating the price or accepting the lease as is. While I agree that the seller may have purposely withheld this information, proving it will not be easy.
  • mummyflesh
    mummyflesh Posts: 33 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It says in property information that’s come from there solicitor that there is a drive.
    I haven’t got the details of the lease solicitor has that but she has said that the sellers will have been aware of the lease as they would have signed it. My solicitor has asked them to get an Adverse possession title to which they have refused.
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The seller has put on the Property Information Form that there is a drive. There is a drive. So the seller hasn't lied, just been economical with the response.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mummyflesh wrote: »
    It says in property information that’s come from there solicitor that there is a drive.
    I haven’t got the details of the lease solicitor has that but she has said that the sellers will have been aware of the lease as they would have signed it. My solicitor has asked them to get an Adverse possession title to which they have refused.

get a new solicitor. Adverse possession wouldn't apply in this case...
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 July 2019 at 9:00PM
    Options
    you can't claim adverse possession where you have a lease.

If you could, millions of tenants would be claiming ownership of the flats and houses they rent, and the whole housing market would turn upside-down!
    The only thing I don't understand is when your solicitor got the details from LR right at the start this surely would show that there is also a leasehold
    No. The only (meaningful) thing you don't seem to understand is the terms of the lease. Either you know, but for some strange reason are choosing not to share this information with us, or you don't know, but for some strange reason are choosing not to find out!

edit: oops! I thought the quote above came from the OP. Sorry babyblade!
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Look for another property - you obviously wont be happy with this one.
  • LawAbiding
    LawAbiding Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As I said in your 2nd thread about the same thing.

I've been sent title plan for the purchase in currently making which outline the driveway to be part of the freehold and purchase.

Did you not get this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport