Glasses and replacement lensess

I decided to get two pair of reading glasses re-glazed and was astonished at the cost. I contacted my usual optician and was quoted £80 per pair, now these are bog standard glasses and frames. went to Glasses Direct £25 per pair + p&p. excellent service.
"Imagination is more Important than knowledge"

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They make a massive mark up
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Somebody has to pay for the High Street premises, furnishings, utilities, trained staff etc. and also have to pay the technicians who do the reglazing.

Online company has warehouse with technicians who operate machines which do the job so much leaa to pay out in overheads.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I tried boots and i was quoted over £600 for 2 pairs.Try Asda they are good value.
  • Do they have a special prescription?

It's just that for reading glasses I buy them off the peg from Boots or Sainsburys - opticians are a rip off for reading glasses unless the prescription is out of the ordinary.

I've got three pairs for different purposes. 1.5x for laptop use, and 2x and 3x for reading (depending on print size).
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I got prescription reading glasses from specsavers for £25, inclding frames and lenses
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • I decided to get two pair of reading glasses re-glazed and was astonished at the cost. I contacted my usual optician and was quoted £80 per pair, now these are bog standard glasses and frames. went to Glasses Direct £25 per pair + p&p. excellent service.
    I also went to specsavers £29.99 for a pair of reading glasses complete good value.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
  • I also went to specsavers £29.99 for a pair of reading glasses complete good value.
    Same here free eye test booked online £29 for glasses no hard sell either
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport