Cat being bullied by neighbour's cat

Comments

• GreenQueen
    GreenQueen Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I told him she had been in a fight with another cat, a big ginger one, but he didn't seem to register.

Hopefully the penny will drop and he'll realise later on that it's his cat.
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    GreenQueen wrote: »
    Hopefully the penny will drop and he'll realise later on that it's his cat.

Hopefully, but I'm not holding my breath.

I popped in to a vets today (not mine but I guess it didn't matter) and picked up a leaflet on cat neutering. I'm going to post it through his door when he is out. Hopefully, when he reads that his cat has a higher risk of certain cancers than if he had it neutered, maybe that might work.

I also bought a "Super Soaker" water gun today. It has quite a jet so I'm hoping that will do the trick but nothing seems to scare or phase the bully, he just seems to come back for more. I wish I had the "Super Soaker" this morning as he was sitting in the middle of my back garden with his back to me - would have been perfect!
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Neutering is likely to help with aggression, but it's not guaranteed.

I had a neutered female who was hyper territorial and very aggressive as a result.

Never had to take her to the Vets though, she was so bad 99.95 of her opponents would flee in terror rather than fight her!
  • amandacat
    amandacat Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    All three of my cats got bitten by a local Tom and I spent about £250 in vets bills in two months. It was a new cat to the area. After about three months they seemed to stop getting bitten and now the Tom seems to just ignore them and they keep their distance. A bit like they got used to each other and started respecting territory. Not sure how long this has been going on for you but I hope similar happens in your situation.
  • Deep_In_Debt
    amandacat wrote: »
    All three of my cats got bitten by a local Tom and I spent about £250 in vets bills in two months. It was a new cat to the area. After about three months they seemed to stop getting bitten and now the Tom seems to just ignore them and they keep their distance. A bit like they got used to each other and started respecting territory. Not sure how long this has been going on for you but I hope similar happens in your situation.

Thank you. I'm hoping this will happen.

I've only had these 2 since October last year and they first went out in November but as it was Winter, they tended to stay in the garden for short periods. Now that the weather is better, Bonnie is spending longer periods outside and roaming further as she has found a good "mousing" place and seems to head off in that direction which is the area the Tom lives. Just hoping she will get the message and find a different place to go "mousing".
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Just an idea, might work, might not.
    When a cat is "lost" one suggestion is to vac the house and sprinkle the dust round the garden.
    The theory being the cat finds its own smell of home.
    Could you try the same thing, it might tell the Tom that it is another cats territory.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Deep_In_Debt
    tealady wrote: »
    Just an idea, might work, might not.
    When a cat is "lost" one suggestion is to vac the house and sprinkle the dust round the garden.
    The theory being the cat finds its own smell of home.
    Could you try the same thing, it might tell the Tom that it is another cats territory.

That's a good idea; I will do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

He is so brazen that I doubt anything will put him off. I will definitely give it a try as nothing to lose.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Could you speak to his owner, and if neutering isn't an option, suggest a time share? Eg tom cat goes out 8am - 2pm, yours goes out 3pm on?
    Maybe the tom won't come in on being summoned, but with a nice tasty treat might? Also, maybe the owner would neuter if he has his cat spraying indoors
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Could you speak to his owner, and if neutering isn't an option, suggest a time share? Eg tom cat goes out 8am - 2pm, yours goes out 3pm on?
    Maybe the tom won't come in on being summoned, but with a nice tasty treat might? Also, maybe the owner would neuter if he has his cat spraying indoors

Thanks for the good suggestion. I think the timeshare would be difficult to execute as I work all day Mon-Fri so cats have cat flap access all day. Tom cat owner works shifts and he has a cat flap too.

Not sure the cat is spraying in his house as I'm sure the owner would do something about it.

The tom is a big bully. He tried to bust his way through the catflap this morning and luckily it woke me up and I stopped him. My cats were indoors at the time so he is determined to get to them. Even the jet of water and a good soaking has not stopped him.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    You know you can get timed flaps so they can only go in and out by their microchip at times set by you, so could work if he'd agree.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure