How bubble wrap and a roll of Sellotape has saved me £100s on family holidays

Whenever my family and I go anywhere on holiday these days, as soon as we get to the airport and get out the car we have a bit of a kerbside ritual. My wife grabs a large roll of Sellotape, my six-year-old son and four-year-old daughter lay two giant sheets of bubble wrap down on the pavement, and we get to work. It sounds a bit Blue Peter – and gets us a few odd stares. But over the past few years it’s saved us £100s...

Read the full blog: How bubble wrap and a roll of Sellotape has saved me £100s on family holidays

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: [email protected]

Replies

• WestinWestin Forumite
    5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this is known as "Click Bait"....but it worked on me as I was curious.

Our kid's are in their twenties now and we were doing this when they were tots so I am not sure it is a new thing. Just seemed like a sensible thing to do when travelling, for cost and the baby's comfort.

If we bought a seat on the flight it came in the cabin with us and doubled as a seat for the infant.

As the kids out grew their child car seats we took their booster seats away in much the same manner as described.

Spoiler Alert - In case you haven't yet guessed and don't want to act on the Click Bait - it's about taking your own child car seat away on holiday, and wrapping it up for the journey.
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever- it's also very handy to have bubblewrap (weighs nothing) and tape so you can bring back something on the fragile side in your case.
    Or to stop bottles clinking!!:beer:
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grandparents have saved even more on holidays.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • cubegamecubegame Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not very MSE to promote the fact that airlines are discriminating against those of us who don't have car seats by not charging for them
  • WestinWestin Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    cubegame wrote: »
    It's not very MSE to promote the fact that airlines are discriminating against those of us who don't have car seats by not charging for them

:rotfl: You can have our kid’s old one as I think it is still languishing in a corner of our garage. Feel free to take it on your next flight to get your moneys worth.
  • CuidadosaCuidadosa Forumite
    131 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Where do you recommend to get cheap bubble wrap?
  • jackieblackjackieblack Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Whatever- it's also very handy to have bubblewrap (weighs nothing) and tape so you can bring back something on the fragile side in your case.
    I do this too
    And a small (shoe box sized) cardboard box :D
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter
    South facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs: 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07, 2021 £1250.00
    2022 (offset) YTD £500.00
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • TakmonTakmon Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I've saved even more money by not having to buy bubble wrap or Sellotape.... do many people actually bother wrapping car seats up?
  • spadooshspadoosh Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Takmon wrote: »
    I've saved even more money by not having to buy bubble wrap or Sellotape.... do many people actually bother wrapping car seats up?

I got bored quickly, is that what the bubble wrap is for, wrapping the seats? I thought they where making car seats out of bubble wrap.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I read the first post I thought that they were bubble-wrapping the kids to put them in the hold.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides