asda removing option of bags end of july, no alternative offered

Chrysalis
Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Another supermarket doing something stupid, I would be more supportive if they offered a compromise or alternative, instead its just we will remove the option.

So my question is if I hand the drivers some bags, ask them to bag up the food and hand me the bagged up food, is that a reasonable request?

I dont want drivers in my home, and I dont want to be bending down picking up one food item at a time.

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    You could take your bags to the door, bend down and fill one bag, slide it out of the way; fill another bag, slide it out of the way; fill the last bag. Straighten up and carry your filled bags into the house.

i.e. why ask the driver to bag up the food? you could do so yourself.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,889 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 July 2019 at 5:01PM
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    Another supermarket doing something stupid, I would be more supportive if they offered a compromise or alternative, instead its just we will remove the option.

So my question is if I hand the drivers some bags, ask them to bag up the food and hand me the bagged up food, is that a reasonable request?

I dont want drivers in my home, and I dont want to be bending down picking up one food item at a time.

Asda have been trialling this for a couple of months, I have had bag free for 2 months.

I just take my bags to the door, and place the items in my own bags, I really don’t think it’s fair to ask the driver to do it. They get 3 minutes for each delivery and as far as I am concerned, they are delivery drivers and not packers.

You don’t bend down, they lift each crate up to you to unpack.
    Each to their own though, just my opinion.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Chrysalis wrote: »

I wouldn't imagine the driver would be too keen either - you've got to do it once, they potentially have a load of customers all wanting the same. Why is it reasonable for them to do it, but not you?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Agree another stupid idea. I'm wang to pay for bags so why can I have them! Taking handfuls of items in is going to take forever and delay the driver.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,889 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    _shel wrote: »
    Agree another stupid idea. I'm wang to pay for bags so why can I have them! Taking handfuls of items in is going to take forever and delay the driver.

Absolutely agree, the poor drivers who are up against it anyway will now have to wait for people to offload. I had one driver tell me that a lady picked up one item, took it into her kitchen, put it away and then came back for another item! The delivery took over 10 minutes and when she got back to the depot she was told off and denied overtime :(
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    When we had bagless Tesco deliveries we used to take their green crates into our kitchen, unpack them and give them back to the driver.

Are you unable to do this?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    When we had bagless Tesco deliveries we used to take their green crates into our kitchen, unpack them and give them back to the driver.

Are you unable to do this?

That still takes time, I usually grab the bags, dump them in the hall then wave the driver off. Taking it into the kitchen and putting away happens after he's gone and takes a while.
  • Lily54
    Lily54 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Some people aren't physically able to do these things.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The obvious answer is for the supermarket to leave you their totes on a deposit, and collect them then next time they deliver and give you a credit on the order after that.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Lucyjoanne
    Lucyjoanne Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    The obvious answer is for the supermarket to leave you their totes on a deposit, and collect them then next time they deliver and give you a credit on the order after that.

Alternatively they could put the groceries in cardboard crates (which they have tons of) and leave them with the customer. The customer could then just pop them in the recycle bin when finished.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure