Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

asda removing option of bags end of july, no alternative offered

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

asda removing option of bags end of july, no alternative offered

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Gone Off!
48 replies 10.3K views
ChrysalisChrysalis Forumite
2.5K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Gone Off!
Another supermarket doing something stupid, I would be more supportive if they offered a compromise or alternative, instead its just we will remove the option.

So my question is if I hand the drivers some bags, ask them to bag up the food and hand me the bagged up food, is that a reasonable request?

I dont want drivers in my home, and I dont want to be bending down picking up one food item at a time.

Replies

• TigsteroonieTigsteroonie Forumite
    24.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could take your bags to the door, bend down and fill one bag, slide it out of the way; fill another bag, slide it out of the way; fill the last bag. Straighten up and carry your filled bags into the house.

i.e. why ask the driver to bag up the food? you could do so yourself.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • edited 6 July 2019 at 4:01PM
    sarah1972sarah1972 Forumite, Board Guide
    16.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 July 2019 at 4:01PM
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    Another supermarket doing something stupid, I would be more supportive if they offered a compromise or alternative, instead its just we will remove the option.

So my question is if I hand the drivers some bags, ask them to bag up the food and hand me the bagged up food, is that a reasonable request?

I dont want drivers in my home, and I dont want to be bending down picking up one food item at a time.

Asda have been trialling this for a couple of months, I have had bag free for 2 months.

I just take my bags to the door, and place the items in my own bags, I really don’t think it’s fair to ask the driver to do it. They get 3 minutes for each delivery and as far as I am concerned, they are delivery drivers and not packers.

You don’t bend down, they lift each crate up to you to unpack.
    Each to their own though, just my opinion.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards & Competitions
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    23.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chrysalis wrote: »

I wouldn't imagine the driver would be too keen either - you've got to do it once, they potentially have a load of customers all wanting the same. Why is it reasonable for them to do it, but not you?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • _shel_shel Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree another stupid idea. I'm wang to pay for bags so why can I have them! Taking handfuls of items in is going to take forever and delay the driver.
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • sarah1972sarah1972 Forumite, Board Guide
    16.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    _shel wrote: »
    Agree another stupid idea. I'm wang to pay for bags so why can I have them! Taking handfuls of items in is going to take forever and delay the driver.

Absolutely agree, the poor drivers who are up against it anyway will now have to wait for people to offload. I had one driver tell me that a lady picked up one item, took it into her kitchen, put it away and then came back for another item! The delivery took over 10 minutes and when she got back to the depot she was told off and denied overtime :(
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards & Competitions
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    4.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    When we had bagless Tesco deliveries we used to take their green crates into our kitchen, unpack them and give them back to the driver.

Are you unable to do this?
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • _shel_shel Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    When we had bagless Tesco deliveries we used to take their green crates into our kitchen, unpack them and give them back to the driver.

Are you unable to do this?

That still takes time, I usually grab the bags, dump them in the hall then wave the driver off. Taking it into the kitchen and putting away happens after he's gone and takes a while.
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • Lily54Lily54 Forumite
    79 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Some people aren't physically able to do these things.
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obvious answer is for the supermarket to leave you their totes on a deposit, and collect them then next time they deliver and give you a credit on the order after that.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • LucyjoanneLucyjoanne Forumite
    35 posts
    First Anniversary
    The obvious answer is for the supermarket to leave you their totes on a deposit, and collect them then next time they deliver and give you a credit on the order after that.

Alternatively they could put the groceries in cardboard crates (which they have tons of) and leave them with the customer. The customer could then just pop them in the recycle bin when finished.