Affordable Mattress

Options
I hope this is the right sub.
I'm looking for recommendations on good, affordable mattresses. I have a back issue called shueuermann's disease and need a good mattress. My old one is giving up the ghost but I've noticed while shopping around any thay are marketed towards people with back pain seem to have fairly steep prices in the £300-600 range. Sadly because of my health I'm classed as unfit for work and work related activies with what used to be ESA now UC so my income is very limited so i simply can't afford such a large expense. Does anyone have recommendations on more affordable alternatives or perhaps any that offer good credit options on purchases. Thank you for your time and once again sorry of this happens to be in the wrong area.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    IKEA has a big choice i paid £100 for basic mattress and will throw it away after 3 years .

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/hamarvik-sprung-mattress-firm-dark-beige-60258723/

Be aware that mattress claiming to be for bad back etc are no such thing .Often those are just a firm mattress and that may not be what you want .
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I second that recommendation but with a caveat - we bought Ikea firm Hovag pocket sprung mattresses for 4 king size beds, but found them too firm, this was however transformed by the addition of a 3 inch memory foam mattress topper bought from either ebay or amazon, don't remember. Anyway, our guests often say its the most comfortable bed they have slept on. I think in total for king size the price was £310 each. Hoping that the memory foam topper will also extend the life of the mattress a bit. The bed bases are all hard - either metal rods or wooden slats. HTH
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 July 2019 at 6:48AM
    Options
    I have a firm mattress because of back problems but find a very firm mattress causes as many problems as it solves. I don't buy expensive mattress toppers, a cheap 13 tog duvet is good enough for softness (I have arthritis as well, so have to sleep on something soft to touch) and helps with warmth in the cold months.

I tend to look for deals. Tend to buy Silentnight mattresses, they seem to last a fair while (had mine for 4 years) and its just as good as it was the day I bought it. My children sleep on single versions as well.

DON'T go on ebay and buy the £100 mattresses you see on there, however orthopaedic they seem to be. I did it years ago because I had no money, within a week it was unuseable.

Another cheaper option is to buy a second hand mattress from somewhere like British Heart Foundation Shop or another charity as if collection is a problem, they will deliver cheaply. Give it a good clean and hoover, steam if possible to make sure its ok. I got by with second hand mattresses from such places quite a few years ago and didn't have any problems. Its not everyone's cup of tea for obvious reasons but it didn't do me any harm as long as you choose a good quality mattress.
  • Jo_King
    Jo_King Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know where you're based, but I've had luck here:

https://alecs3piecesuites.co.uk/

The website isn't great, and suggests he just sells sofas! But he has loads of mattresses. They're 'seconds' from John Lewis (absolutely fine - just returned stock usually, or a slight mark on the stitching, but new). Mine was £300 (delivered free), but retails at £900 (and that's a reduced price). I know that might be out of your budget, but it is an investment, and you could get a Credit Union loan, or buy it with a zero interest credit card paying back a month at a time?

If Bolton's out of range, there might be somewhere similar locally - or Alec does deliver very widely.

I have fibromyalgia and swear by a pocket sprung mattress. It makes a huge difference to how well I sleep.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spam reported.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts