Council tax discount back claiming

My husband and I separated in December 2017. As he continued to provide money towards the bills on the jointly owned house, and as I had no forwarding address for him, I did not claim single occupier discount. I have now discovered that he is paying council tax on the rented property he now lives in. I have submitted my claim to my council, but am wondering if they will backdate the discount, and, if so, how far back?


  • CIS
    CIS Posts: 12,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Backdating is, in most cases, not limited in council tax legislation (especially so where it for 6 years or less)

    Some councils will try and artificially restrict it though by way of 'policy' - a large number of the cases I end up disputing are because of this.It's a case of, initially, putting across the best argument with evidence.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards