Smoking in the kitchen

Options
Am I right to smoke in my kitchen, in a house where I pay all bills, buy all food and clean? The house is also in my name, as are all the bills.
I have two family members living with me and they are both adults. They complain about my smoking in the kitchen and my answer is: my house, my rules. If you don't like it, find a better deal.
I was told I am being unfair. Am I right?

Comments

• DevilsAdvocate1
    DevilsAdvocate1 Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All I know is that I wouldn't want to live with you. I hate smoke and hate it more around food.
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    While it's not illegal it's very antisocial. You are imposing your smoke on them and you are coating your ceiling, walls and surfaces with carcinogenic dioxins which is not healthy.
    Presumably, as they are family members, you care about them to some extent, so why not move outdoors? It's what, maybe a 2m walk; not too big an ask surely?
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How are the smoke alarms not going off?

Aside from that, if they live with you, then you should smoke outside, as to not do so is damaging their health in a serious way
    This affects them also, not just you.
    It may be your house, but you chose to have them living there & if workmen come, you can't smoke around them, so to me it's no different
  • robinwales
    robinwales Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can do whatever you want to. We all can. But there are consequences. With freedom comes resposibilities.
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I think it's fair enough - containing it to one room that other people don't have to go in often is polite enough. It'd be different if you smoked in the main living area. If your adult family complain too much, you can always suggest they move out and make their own home smoke free.
  • bronatony
    Options
    According to me you are not doing good. Smoking is harmful to our health. So you are either harm yourself and your family too.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,704 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    It doesn't matter whether random strangers on t'internet think you are right or not (coming from a never-tried-one-non-smoker who wouldn't allow smoking in my house).
    What matters is the relationship (and I don't mean Father/wife/son type of relationship, more 'how your lives are affected relationship) between you and the other 2 people who live in your house.

Are you prepared to ask them to leave if they continue to tell you smoking in the kitchen is unfair?
    Are they prepared to leave if you give then an ultimatum of 'put up with it or get out'?

Are they in a position to leave? Can they afford to?
    Would you want it to go that far?
    Do they want to continue to live with someone so intransigent?

I guess that yes, you can continue to say 'My house, I pay all the bills, I'll do what I want' but you to be aware of the consequences of that.
    Maybe try to find some sort of compromise.
    I think I'd find smoking in the bathroom a more acceptable place than the kitchen.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    By!K80 Black1st Jul 19, 5:15 AM

!

What's this?

K80 BLACKView public profileSend private messageFind more postsView all thanked postsAdd to contacts

I think it's fair enough - containing it to one room that other people don't have to go in often is polite enough. It'd be different if you smoked in the main living area. If your adult family complain too much, you can always suggest they move out and make their own home smoke free.

A kitchen is usually deemed a main room for all within a household.

A bedroom would not.

Personally, I think its disgusting to smoke in the kitchen - the room where everyones meals are prepared . It's lazy when you can step outside.

Also, and you won't notice as you go but it will stain the walls and ceilings which is usually only noticeable when you start moving stuff or move out. It will stain the units etc too

It depends on how much you need/want the family sticking around
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    People die from cancer from secondary smoke. You're putting your family members at risk. Smoke outside.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Questions of health risk aside (and believe me if you had ever watched someone die of lung cancer, you’d never touch tobacco again, it’s a horrible way to go), smokers have no idea how revolting the smell is, how it lingers and taints all their clothes and soft furnishings. They have grown immune to it.

So, yes, your house, but smoking in the kitchen is beyond disgusting. I had a neighbour who smoked, he always did so in the garden.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure