IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ANPR/Ticketless parking - incoming fine?

Options
Hi all,

I used an ANPR/Ticketless controlled car park yesterday and made the error of leaving without having any details set-up in the system to automatically pay for my stay (my stay was about 20 minutes at most), surprisingly the barrier went up without making a manual payment either.

I realised my error as soon as I got in and signed up for ticketless parking in the relevant area (Canterbury) and added my payment details and car details etc. I've contacted them regarding this and explained the situation but I won't get a response for a few days looking at their auto-reply.

Do you guys think I've got a fine incoming for this? My only saving graces are that it was a short stay and that I signed up within 30 mins of leaving.

Cheers

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Council or private parking? If it was a private company which one?
  • lw373
    lw373 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    Council or private parking? If it was a private company which one?

Council as far as I can tell
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Then take it to pepipoo fightback forum using a Gmail address, not Hotmail, and ask in their council section
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,039 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Councils aren't supposed to use ANPR systems in off street car parks, why do you say it's council?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    fisherjim wrote: »
    Councils aren't supposed to use ANPR systems in off street car parks, why do you say it's council?

Iirc (I've been to Canterbury a few times) they use an anpr system to collect payment. They have plate level cameras as you enter car parks. It's a bit of a faff as a system.
  • fisherjim
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    Iirc (I've been to Canterbury a few times) they use an anpr system to collect payment. They have plate level cameras as you enter car parks. It's a bit of a faff as a system.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2960986/Thousands-rip-parking-fines-dished-town-hall-car-parks-illegally-using-automatic-number-plate-recognition.html
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    fisherjim wrote: »

And you have to ask the question why 'accountable' councils are forbidden from using ANPR cameras in car parks, while wholly unaccountable and largely out of control private parking companies are allowed to increasingly use them to raid millions of motorists' bank accounts each year?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep. How on earth is ANPR allowed to be abused by scammers?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • fisherjim
    edited 1 July 2019 at 1:59PM
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Yep. How on earth is ANPR allowed to be abused by scammers?

I used to work in the brewing industry, pubs had/have Optics that are government sealed to measure correctly, beer especially in the North was in some accounts metered by government stamped 1/2pt meters.

Trading Standards (or the old Weights and Measures) officers make spot checks and cut the seals on any under or even over measuring equipment and forbid its use, they will then come back to ensure compliance to protect the public.
    They also take samples of liquors for laboratory dilution checks.

Yet any old Muppet can set up any old ANPR equipment they like and charge victims £100 a throw on any spurious timings they like, unchecked and unchallenged by any authority, with systems that have no calibration checks by any third party.

Absolutely unbelievable, I hope parliaments new COP gets to the bottom of this and bans it as they have in local authority car parks, but I am not holding my breath!
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    but , but , but PPCs have "special" ANPR cameras (not just anybody's cameras) , those special automatic NUMBERPLATE recognition cameras , can see people leaving sites on foot .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure