Do your investments influence your shopping habits?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
edited 30 June 2019 at 4:48PM in Savings & investments
For example if you have invested in the Ftse 100 - Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsburys etc (I think they're all in it)...

Does this come into your mind when you are deciding where to shop? Eg you avoid Lidl and Aldi as they are privately held.

Comments

• barnstar2077
    barnstar2077 Posts: 1,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Haha, no. I do think about my investments often though. News that would have been boring to me before is much more interesting to me now. Mainly because if it is in the mainstream media then it will influence the herd.
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not adverse to buying into a company that I come across either through personal or business use. First hand experience is often a good barometer. However I would never buy a share then decide to procure the companies services or products. Companies aren't just numbers on a piece of paper, they are people driven. Internal culture is a good indicator particularly with smaller companies.
  • quirkydeptless
    quirkydeptless Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    Options
    I own a 1/4 of a billionth % of SSE, and am also a customer :think:
    Retired 1st July 2021.
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I avoid shopping at Lidl and Aldi following my first experience with the latter (the salmon steaks were off), and neither of them offer online deliveries so a pain-in-the-butt for those of us who live in rural areas.

To answer the crux of your question...

I don't invest in individual shares - much too racy for me - and my portfolio is diversified across 1000s of companies so, nope, my investments make no difference to my shopping habits.

I do recall (back in the day) that my former father-in-law held shares in P&O simply to receive the shareholder benefit of reductions on their then ferry service to France.

I'm not sure if shareholder benefits still exist but some were a tasty incentive to those who could exploit them.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    Options
    I've a S&S ISA, which gets me shares in tobacco companies (I don't smoke), petrol companies (I buy supermarket petrol), pharmaceutical companies (I take whatever the chemist gets from their supplier) amongst other things.

No, it doesn't influence me.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've a S&S ISA, which gets me shares in tobacco companies (I don't smoke), petrol companies (I buy supermarket petrol), pharmaceutical companies (I take whatever the chemist gets from their supplier) amongst other things.

No, it doesn't influence me.

Doesn't supermarket petrol come from BP and Shell?
  • tin586
    tin586 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    This reminds me that I’ve never bothered with the Whitbread shareholder benefits card, which probably entitles me to a free egg or something at breakfast time when staying at a Premier Inn.
    Now if they could get that Lenny Henry to serve it...
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,050 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DairyQueen wrote: »
    I'm not sure if shareholder benefits still exist but some were a tasty incentive to those who could exploit them.
    Nothing like as widespread or generous as in the past but some perks are available:

https://www.share.com/investments-and-recommendations/share-tips-and-search/shareholder-perks
    https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shareholder-perks
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doesn't supermarket petrol come from BP and Shell?

Tesco's used to be supplied by Esso.
  • londoninvestor
    londoninvestor Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    HL wrote:
    All shareholders holding Stanley Gibbons Group shares through Hargreaves Lansdown are entitled to a free annual subscription to the Gibbons Stamp monthly magazine.

And you only need one share which is about 2.5p!

A nice portal back into a past era.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport