Ebay not honouring PRIZE10 code - fraud!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
10 replies 1.6K views
Cash_CowCash_Cow Forumite
79 Posts
Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
28/06 EBay send me a 10% off spends of over £100 voucher that expires that evening at 23:59. Brilliant timing I thought and spent £400. They then dont honour the voucher code on payment for the winning bid. They fully admit this but wont do anything about it.:mad:

I'm absolutely fuming about this deceit. It cant be right to entice someone to make a purchase before the voucher expires. They have this load of nonsense pre-prepared script when you complain. 'We'll let you know next month about a new voucher maybe' and ' we understand your disappointment' (but will do nothing about it.

I wont let this dishonourable deceit lie and will check with trading standards. You cant promise a discount with an expiry time and then cancel the discount BEFORE the expiry time but AFTER enticing a sale. I'll do small claims court on this if needed. Dishonourable liars.

Anyone else?

Replies

• POPPYOSCARPOPPYOSCAR Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the T&Cs for the offer?

What is their reason for not accepting the code on your purchase?
  • Inner_ZoneInner_Zone Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    The offer was pulled at 2PM. Not very friendly of Ebay. I was going to make a purchase that evening but by that time the offer had gone.
  • Cash_CowCash_Cow Forumite
    79 Posts
    Their T&C's (had to dig deep to find these...):

You can use your voucher to buy any item on eBay as long as the offer has not expired and the item you’d like to buy meets all the criteria stated on the voucher.
    To spend your voucher or redeem our offer, enter the redemption code in the Add vouchers section at checkout, then select Apply to see your new order total.

Ensure you pay for your item before the expiration date on your voucher.

eBay reserves the right to suspend, change or cancel this coupon promotion at any time, in the event of circumstances arising which in eBay's opinion make it necessary for it to do so. eBay reserves the right to add additional terms and conditions for certain parts of this coupon promotion.

They do say they can pull the voucher but I'd dispute that is legal as they don't inform you until AFTER making the sale... I had committed to buying and HAD to buy.

Their excuse on live chat was ( and I like the last bit trying to make ME feel sorry for THEM):

Anil
    15:55 PM
    We have received similar contacts from many members yesterday even while the offer time is still active and when we have contacted our promotions team to know the reason for this, they have shared that the offer is pulled out from site early due to internal reasons which will affect the business.
    Anil
    We deeply regret the inconvenience caused to you.
    Anil
    This was a very rare incident wherein we had to discontinue our campaign. We are committed to our customers and have been offering various discount campaigns regularly every 2-3 weeks. This is the first time where we have discontinued the campaign.
    Anil
    15:56 PM
    I am sure you will understand that as a business, this instance has its impact on us as a brand. We are one of the largest trading platforms offering campaigns to all our customers and applicable sitewide across highest number of categories.

Have I got legs to challenge them legally - as they dug in here... Anil was very frustrated bless him, as he knew I was right morally
    79 Posts
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    The offer was pulled at 2PM. Not very friendly of Ebay. I was going to make a purchase that evening but by that time the offer had gone.

How did you know it had gone? I didnt know till after I made the purchase (auction win...you win you buy...)
  • POPPYOSCARPOPPYOSCAR Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you cancel your purchase?

I would and explain why.

Perhaps they will give you the discount rather than lose the sale

I do not see how this can be challenged legally.
  • Inner_ZoneInner_Zone Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Cash_Cow wrote: »
    How did you know it had gone? I didnt know till after I made the purchase (auction win...you win you buy...)

The notification showing the discount was no longer showing.
    79 Posts
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Did you cancel your purchase?

I would and explain why.

Perhaps they will give you the discount rather than lose the sale

I do not see how this can be challenged legally.

I paid and thought I would challenge the discount glitch later...

Grounds:

The general prohibition of unfair commercial practices is designed as a safety net, to protect consumers from unfair trading practices generally even when they are not covered by the rules on misleading or aggressive trading (see 3) and the specifically banned practices (see 2).
    A practice is covered by the general prohibition if it does two things:
    • It breaches the requirement for traders to act with professional diligence, meeting the standard that can reasonably be expected. This means acting in accordance with honest market practice or good faith.
    • It is likely to materially distort the behaviour of the average consumer, changing the decisions they make (eg convincing the consumer to buy your product).

It distorted my behaviour as without the promise of the discount i wouldn't have bought...
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wont let this dishonourable deceit lie and will check with trading standards. You cant promise a discount with an expiry time and then cancel the discount BEFORE the expiry time but AFTER enticing a sale. I'll do small claims court on this if needed. Dishonourable liars.
    You can't win. You haven't lost anything. A court would ask why you didn't just cancel the order when you realised there was no discount. The T&Cs you posted suggest they have built in the right to cancel it at any time. Their offer, their prerogative. Going to small claims would cost you more money and you'd likely not get it back.

Your best hope for getting the £40 is to badger Ebay on Twitter and/or Facebook. Don't do it by calling them names though, they'll likely just block you.
    79 Posts
    Thanks for the advice RFW. I didn't know that you could cancel a winning auction bid (can you)? This wasn't a buy it now or multiple items - it was an individual auctioning something over 7 days. You win you pay - no?

...heads to Twitter...
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice RFW. I didn't know that you could cancel a winning auction bid (can you)? This wasn't a buy it now or multiple items - it was an individual auctioning something over 7 days. You win you pay - no?

...heads to Twitter...
    Sorry, didn't realise it was an auction. I'd still say legally that a judge would say that you could have not paid, so you wouldn't have lost out.

Anyway, best of luck on Twitter, I'd wager it will get you somewhere. Just remember to be nice but firm!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals