time of for interview

Options
hi all, i have a large role in a small company and i have applied for other jobs. I'm worried i won't be able to get the time off to attend an interview!
Anyone experienced this and could help please?
Thanks
btd

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Your not entitled to it. You would need to use annual leave.
  • BEAT_THE_DEBT
    BEAT_THE_DEBT Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi i have no problem using annual leave or even unpaid leave or going in before and after i'm just worried i will be denied. Thanks
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Assuming you don’t need to give a reason for why you want to book annual leave then I can’t see why it should be refused unless there will be a general shortage of staff etc
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There might be an issue if you need to take annual leave at short notice. Ideally, you should try to arrange interviews so you can give your employer at least three days notice, or five days if you need to take the whole day off because of the travelling time.

There might also be an issue if you need to take a number of periods off; the employer might become suspicious or just not grant your request for leave due to the impact it will have on the business, so try to only take time off for interviews where you have a good chance of getting the job.

Apart from that there is not much you can do other than hope that you can negotiate the time off you need. If you have a good relationship with the employer and these jobs represent an opportunity for you to progress (rather than leave a job where neither you or the employer are satisfied), you could even tell the employer your reason for wanting the time off.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is always the change a last minute annual leave request could be denied - and the thing is about interviews, you often don't get much notice, say a week in advance. It is very difficult!

Some employers expect leave to be booked weeks in advance

In these situations I lie.

Yes I am a Liar Liar pants on fire. Strike me down with furious vengeance ye gods

I need annual leave as a hospital appointment has come up. That is less likely to be declined.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I"m with Ska Lover. Normally honesty is the best policy but with this one, it's normal just to make it up.

If at all possible just avoid giving a reason. But often that's not possible.

A plumber coming round to fix a leak can work. Or a doctors appointment, although that can be risky because some bosses may not make you take annual leave if its a doctors appointment.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    How far away is the interview date?
  • BEAT_THE_DEBT
    edited 30 June 2019 at 11:25AM
    Options
    Thanks all it's usually a week or two. I have had an operation and i am due a 6 week follow up so i was thinking i would tie that in?
    Also if i get the job it's references pending and i'm sure she will say no hand your notice in now? Can she make me?
    It's so diffcult in a small buisness with no hr that's why i'm going back (hopefully) to the nhs fingers crossed.
    Thanks all i appreciate it x
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all it's usually a week or two. I have had an operation and i am due a 6 week follow up so i was thinking i would tie that in?

You're overthinking this in my view - just arrange the interview date and book the morning or afternoon off without giving any further information. If it's doable on the same day as your follow-up then that could be a bonus, but personally I'm not sure I'd want the stress of an operation follow-up and an interview on the same day...
    Also if i get the job it's references pending and i'm sure she will say no hand your notice in now? Can she make me?

Who is "she" in this context and what business might she have "making you" resign?
  • BEAT_THE_DEBT
    edited 30 June 2019 at 11:17AM
    Options
    Ja7188. You are right i am overthinking! I will cross these bridges when it comes to it. I have had no leave this year yet and have covered for others as extra shifts so it shouldn't be an issue esp if i offer to come in after or before.
    She sorry is the owner of the company i have been there 2 years but the first 6months was part time 2017 and then full time so i had a full time contract in Jan 18 she always says you can get rid of someone before two years so even though i have some part some full am i over the 2 years?
    Hope this makes sense?

THanksx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family