MOT fail- is it worth fixing?

Hi
I have a 2002 Honda Jazz that has failed it’s mot on the following things : suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected Nearside Rear (axle).

suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected Offside Rear (axle).

Anti- roll bar ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt offside Front.

Brake pipe excessively corroded offside front.

Is it worth repairing or should I scrap and buy another car? TIA

Comments

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The first too sounds like rust on the body of the car by the suspension mounting points. IIRC any rust within 30cm of the mounting point is a fail(could be wrong mind)

how rusty is your car underneath?

The ball joint replacement along with brake line replacement shouldn't bee a massive job.
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    No way of telling without seeing it really.
    2002 motor isn't going to be worth much, but if the maintenance has been kept up with, it has good tyres and brakes etc. It might be worth welding. As above the mechanical bits probably aren't massive jobs.
    Has the garage given any idea of cost?
    You might get another year or two, but once you start welding them, unless you're prepared to make a really good "proper" repair, and not just patch, then you're looking at getting near the practical end of a car's life.
  • No idea how much to repair as test centre doesn’t do repairs.

The car doesn’t look that rusty underneath.

It’s confusing as last years mot has no advisories.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you can't do the work yourself, then the only real answer is to get a price off someone who can.
    You can then make your mind up whether the car's worth repairing or not.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have a 2002 Honda Jazz that has failed it’s mot on the following things : suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected Nearside Rear (axle).

suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected Offside Rear (axle).
    Is it body rot, or is the rot on the suspension beam?

I'm reading "(axle)" as the tester saying it's the axle beam that's rotting. If so, that's a very different kettle of fish to if it's the car body itself. Much quicker and simpler fix. Just swap the beam over.

Anti- roll bar ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt offside Front.

Brake pipe excessively corroded offside front.

Is it worth repairing or should I scrap and buy another car? TIA[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport