Change language/country of default for browsing?

bairn7
bairn7 Posts: 579 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all

Long story short, my laptop died on holiday in Thailand and I bought a new one from a local superstore. All fine so far except that when I use google, even when back home, many of the results come back in Thai.

I can't see how to fix this. Is there an easy solution?

Thanks

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    bairn7 wrote: »
    Hi all

Long story short, my laptop died on holiday in Thailand and I bought a new one from a local superstore. All fine so far except that when I use google, even when back home, many of the results come back in Thai.

I can't see how to fix this. Is there an easy solution?

Thanks

I would presume it’s as simple as the default is set to Google Thai rather than Google UK. Have you checked what the default setting currently is?
    ====
  • bairn7
    d123 wrote: »
    I would presume it’s as simple as the default is set to Google Thai rather than Google UK. Have you checked what the default setting currently is?

I'm not that tech savvy but I did check settings. I also set the default to google.co.uk in the hope that this would fix it. No joy.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Bottom right corner of Google home page is Settings - Search Settings. Scroll down in Search Results to Region Settings. Then back to top left Languages. Also what are your Windows region and language set to ?
  • bairn7
    molerat wrote: »
    Bottom right corner of Google home page is Settings - Search Settings. Scroll down in Search Results to Region Settings. Then back to top left Languages. Also what are your Windows region and language set to ?

Thank you. The browser was still defaulting to .com. I followed your steps on .co.uk and then did the same in .com (in Thai) and have managed to change it to English. Thanks!
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Where is the old laptop? Died in which way? No response when pressing power button?
  • rajeshk4u
    rajeshk4u Posts: 114 Forumite
    Try someone where in the Windows settings too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure