Can anyone help with info on First Personal Bank PPI?

Options
Hi

I am trying to find out who to make a claim to for a First Personal Bank account held in the early 90's.

I know that GE Capitol took them over and then from there some accounts, not all, were taken on by Santander. This is not one of them unfortunately. I have tried contacting GE, but haven't heard a dickie bird. I cannot find any information anywhere about who to write to regarding this account.

Any info greatly appreciated. I know its probably too old an account now, especially if I can't find who to write to, but its worth a shot at least!

Thanks in advance

Heidi

Comments

• The_squirrell
    Options
    What was the PPI on? Did you definitely have it? What is the issue? When was the account closed?

I am sorry for the questions but they are all relevant in stopping you from wasting time for everyone.
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hpotter wrote: »
    Hi

I am trying to find out who to make a claim to for a First Personal Bank account held in the early 90's.

I know that GE Capitol took them over and then from there some accounts, not all, were taken on by Santander. This is not one of them unfortunately. I have tried contacting GE, but haven't heard a dickie bird. I cannot find any information anywhere about who to write to regarding this account.

Any info greatly appreciated. I know its probably too old an account now, especially if I can't find who to write to, but its worth a shot at least!

Thanks in advance

Heidi

First Personal Bank is listed as a business acquired by Santander Cards UK, so you should still be able to refer your complaint to them. Who told you otherwise?
  • hpotter
    hpotter Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was a loan and definitely had PPI on as the monthly amount of that is stated on the credit agreement.The account was closed in 1993.
  • hpotter
    hpotter Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Santander told me they are not responsible for the loans aspect of the First Personal Bank accounts, They only took on store cards.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It was a loan and definitely had PPI on as the monthly amount of that is stated on the credit agreement.The account was closed in 1993.
    Even if you discover the financial entity with liability, you do realise that more than a quarter century has passed since you closed the account? I'd say you have no chance at all of advancing this unless you have comprehensive documentary proof of this lending (and PPI) in your own archive.

The Agreement is not, on it's own, proof that you paid PPI I'm afraid.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Santander told me they are not responsible for the loans aspect of the First Personal Bank accounts, They only took on store cards.

Does it mention on the paperwork who the underwriter was for the PPI policy? If so, you could complain to them and if they reject it refer to the Financial Ombudsman.
  • The_squirrell
    Options
    sun73 wrote: »
    Does it mention on the paperwork who the underwriter was for the PPI policy? If so, you could complain to them and if they reject it refer to the Financial Ombudsman.

If it was closed in 1993 and the firm comes back to say there are no records and you have no proof, then there is absolutely no point in referring this to FOS. They will agree that the firm is absolutely correct and should erase any documentation from that long ago as they absolutely have an obligation to do so.

Complaining to FOS about a response like that would just be wasting everybody's time....including yours.
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it was closed in 1993 and the firm comes back to say there are no records and you have no proof, then there is absolutely no point in referring this to FOS. They will agree that the firm is absolutely correct and should erase any documentation from that long ago as they absolutely have an obligation to do so.
    You've misunderstood what the other poster was suggesting. He advises finding out who the underwriter of the insurance was and complaining to them. He says such a complaint, if rejected, would then allow access to the Ombudsman.

I'm not recommending this personally, but the OP does appear to have (some) documentation and the underwriter route has been successful in certain cases..
  • The_squirrell
    Options
    You've misunderstood what the other poster was suggesting. He advises finding out who the underwriter of the insurance was and complaining to them. He says such a complaint, if rejected, would then allow access to the Ombudsman.

I'm not recommending this personally, but the OP does appear to have (some) documentation and the underwriter route has been successful in certain cases..

I am always happy to stand corrected. Apologies for missing that!

As you say though, I do think any odds would be quite low.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    sun73 wrote: »
    First Personal Bank is listed as a business acquired by Santander Cards UK, so you should still be able to refer your complaint to them. Who told you otherwise?

First Personal Bank Plc is the former name of SANTANDER CARDS UK LIMITED

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01456283

I cannot find any information anywhere about who to write to regarding this account.

As above; Santander - Santander Cards UK Ltd would have sold the PPI.

Santander clearly have no records. If you have any records submit them to Santander.

See also this thread;
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5224171
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family