Property in Trust, will states give all to individual person? Trying to do probate myself

Options
2»

Comments

• boots174
    boots174 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I have been advised that my wife and I should set up a Family Probate Trust to protect our assets.
    Was this wrong?
  • TcpnT
    TcpnT Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have been advised that my wife and I should set up a Family Probate Trust to protect our assets.
    Was this wrong?

You are going to have to provide much more information about the situation and financial circumstances to get any meaningful answer. It would also be better to start a new thread of your own.
  • pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    boots174 wrote: »
    Was this wrong?

No one is going to be able to answer without a lot more details about your situation.

In general I am petty anti Trust - My Dad had one set up - It worked (we think) in that he did live 7 years beyond when it was set up but I cant help thinking a straight gift to my sister and I would have been a much better idea - most of the cash would now have been safely sitting in isas instead of in some expensive offshore fund that we have to pay income tax on if we extract any money ..
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    However, as your Father lives elsewhere, there could be a possibility that your Parents gifted the property into a Family Trust earlier on, in which case, you should consult with STEP solicitors.

It appears from the first post that while both parents were living, they gifted the whole of the property into trust.

The OP says that the Land Registry records
    On the land registry the property is owned by mum and dad as trustees of the family trust..so it says the following:

Registered Owneres: Name 1, Name 2
    as trustees of the Feeney Family Trust.

I think that the parents set up a so called Family Protection Trust.

However, the OP states
    with the sole aim of preventing property being sold for care fees.

which immediately makes this a case of "wilful deprivation of assets in order to increase or obtain a means tested benefit"

https://www.carehome.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1591631/should-care-fees-home-trust
  • 64jane
    Options
    I would be really interested to hear how this ended up and if you found out if there were any tax advantages/disadvantages as we face the same problem. many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure