Ebico price increases way more than expected?

Options
kitschkitty
kitschkitty Posts: 3,177 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I joined Ebico 14 months ago and for the first half of that time everything was fine my direct debit and bill added up. Then they announced thier price rises. The MSE article indicates a less than 10% price increase, when I worked it our it was about a 20% increase for me (and so I increased my monthly direct debit, possibly by not quite enough, but only a few pounds an month at most based on ). I've just been informed that I'm now over £210 in debt. Back in December I was £27 in debt (I thought this would even out over the next few months, or only increase slightly).

Having done the maths my bills have increased 85% (my usage hasn't increased).

I'm not sure if theres anything I can look for in my bills/tarrif to understand how such an increase is possible. I've talked to Ebico but all they've done is direct me to a debt management charity.

Just wondering if anyone else stayed with them after the price increases and has seen such a huge increase in thier bills.
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    85% something is wrong .
    What where the unit rates before and after the increase .
    meter readings would help as usual is either debt or usage increased .
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    Options
    I'm on their zero standing charge tariff as a _very_ low user. My unit rates went up 24.7% although it is still worthwhile, just, being with them. Any change in my consumption will change that.

As JJ Egan says, we need to know the readings. I pay on receipt of bill, carefully checked, based on readings I supply. From the many posts on here, for various suppliers, I pay a little more but avoid a lot of potential grief.
  • MigsyBigsy
    MigsyBigsy Posts: 190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    today I received an email saying that I will receive a £20 hike. I am on a fixed rate of around £20. My usage has not increased if anything its reduced over the summer months. Are they allowed to do this?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Post lacks information .
    What is this fixed rate ?? A fixed unit price and if so when does the contract end .
    Direct Debits are not fixed as they depend upon what you use .

Fixed suggests a contract at xx unit price for xxx months . Price rise indicates this fixed unit price contract has ended .
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    MigsyBigsy wrote: »
    today I received an email saying that I will receive a £20 hike. I am on a fixed rate of around £20. My usage has not increased if anything its reduced over the summer months. Are they allowed to do this?

MigsyBigsy - can you let us know your actual consumption for the last 12 months please.

£20 sounds very low

What is the bottom line of your last bill - are you in debit ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options

If you are on a fixed rate tariff, how can they increase the rate during the term?

Fixed rate is not the same as fixed price. Fixed rate tariffs are not all you can consume tariffs - you still pay for what you use ... at the rate agreed.

If you have not changed your consumption, and the rate has not changed, then as long as you were paying the correct amount monthly in the first place, they should not change the rate.

Why not simply pay on receipt of bill by DD if you are concerned about the monthly rate? Its the same tariff rate with Ebico.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Do you mean your Monthly DD has been changed (e.g. under an annual review)? Is your account in credit or in debt. What was your consumption for the last 12months in KWH and What is the annual review based on.

I've been with Ebico for 9 months now for my gas and have had 2 annual reviews already increasing my DD payment, the annual consumption used on both is different and much higher than what my actually is.

The latest increase is £5 per month from August and I have calculated that even without this increase I will be in credit by over £40 by the end of my 1st 12 months with them. I sent them a secure message with my calculations from my online account telling them not to increase my DD further. Stating total energy used for last 9 months and expected usage over the next 3 month. Still waiting for a response.
  • MigsyBigsy
    MigsyBigsy Posts: 190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear All,

many thanks for your responses. I received the following from Ebico:

Based on the approach we have mentioned above, we have made a change to your Direct Debit payment amount for your energy – it is now set at £40.00. This is a change of £15.00. This change will be effective from 23 Jul 2019. (I have always been in credit)

Tariff Name . . . . . . Ebico Zero Fixed Green
    Product Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fixed Rate

Energy Used (13 Mar 2019 - 12 Jun 2019
    GAS
    94.4 kWh @ 4.9140 p/kWh

ELECTRICITY
    495.0 kWh @ 16.3028 p/kWh

thank you all once again
    M
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dear All,

many thanks for your responses. I received the following from Ebico:

Based on the approach we have mentioned above, we have made a change to your Direct Debit payment amount for your energy – it is now set at £40.00. This is a change of £15.00. This change will be effective from 23 Jul 2019. (I have always been in credit)

Tariff Name . . . . . . Ebico Zero Fixed Green
    Product Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fixed Rate

Energy Used (13 Mar 2019 - 12 Jun 2019
    GAS
    94.4 kWh @ 4.9140 p/kWh

ELECTRICITY
    495.0 kWh @ 16.3028 p/kWh

thank you all once again
    M

Page 3 of the letter shows the annual usage they have based the estimates on. You need to compare against your annual usage not just 1 quarter as usage will fluctuate season to season. £40 / per month is still very low for both gas and electric. Mine does work out at about £41 / month when I combine them, but I do have very low usage.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Electric alone based on your Mar-June of 495 kWh is 2000 kWh a year = £336 (inc VAT) = that's nearly £30

Even £40 I think will be low.

PS I assume based on ACTUAL readings
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills