New Post Advanced Search

Discouraging vandals

16 replies 1.4K views
baxiobaxio Forumite
9 posts
Hi,

We live on the corner of a council estate where two main roads join and there is a pub just round the corner. Our fence fairly frequently gets the odd hole kicked in on it overnight, most likely from drunks coming home from the pub. A few weeks ago we heard an argument and a crash- I think a guy pushed his girlfriend into the fence and it pretty much smashed it to bits.

My Dad has suggested maybe putting anti-climb paint and CCTV signs on the fence to deter people. However, I'm wondering if this will attract thieves who will see these measures but no actual CCTV and think "what have they got in there" and it might make the house more tempting to them.

Just curious as to people's thoughts/ experiences on this.

Thanks,

Dan

Replies

• Ebe_ScroogeEbe_Scrooge Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do to stop people kicking holes in the fence. A friend of mine did once come up with an ingenious way of discouraging people from climbing up it. Have a root around in the garage/shed, find all the odd bits of gloss paint we all seem to end up with in old tins. Mix them together with a good dollop of grease, and paint it on the top of the fence. It won't stop people climbing it in the first place, but they'll only do it once :-) There's no way that lot will wash out, and it'll ruin the expensive designer track-suits so beloved by neds. With the added bonus that you can't be prosecuted for causing bodily harm like you could if you put broken glass or barbed wire up.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
  • jk0jk0 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Build a wall up to 4'6", and fix a small weak fence above that. No-one will be knocking holes in the wall, and the fence will make it very awkward to climb.
  • JackmydadJackmydad Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    jk0 wrote: »
    Build a wall up to 4'6", and fix a small weak fence above that. No-one will be knocking holes in the wall, and the fence will make it very awkward to climb.

Be nice if you could build a 4.6 metre brick wall. . . :D
    But failing that your idea would seem to be about the best that can be done.
  • giraffe69giraffe69 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't it say 4ft 6in not 4.6m?
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    31.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    Yes it does, but some people view on phones, tablets and 15" screens. (That's fifteen inches, not metres or feet! :D)

My advice is not to put signs up, which just seem to antagonise certain sorts of people and invest long term in some pyracantha bushes or similar.
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • JackmydadJackmydad Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    Yes it does.
    I was just thinking that a really big wall would be better! :D
  • tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your might do something creative, e.g. painting concrete fence panels to make them look like fencing. Or you could investigate composite fence panels to see if they might be stronger than wood. You might also hang a second cheaper fence panel over the original panels as a sacrificial board that will both absorb the force of any kicks better than a single panel and be cheaper to replace if it is damaged.

Ultimately, a properly built wall is probably going to be as cheap and will last longer.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wire mesh fencing a few inches in front of the fence might prevent damage.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    Hate the multi post quote. Hate the stupid 21 "badges" in my profile. Complete waste of space needing to be scrolled past daily to find posts you've commented on. Badges? Is this the Brownies?
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davesnave wrote: »
    My advice is not to put signs up, which just seem to antagonise certain sorts of people and invest long term in some pyracantha bushes or similar.

Agree, plant spiky hedging.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    A hawthorn hedge is a good deterrent.