Changing supplier

Options
theonlywayisup
theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
Some help required please -

Son is a student and moving into a new domestic rental on 1 July. The rental is managed by a letting agent.

New tenants are trying to sort out utilities and are having an issue with electricity.

The current supplier is EDF and for some reason it is on a business tariff. New suppliers won't entertain a swap due to the current business status.

Two potential new suppliers have told us that in situations like this it is normal to ask EDF to change tariff from Business to Domestic and then new supply can start.

Naturally EDF won't discuss the current arrangement with us. Letting agent says they have no idea why it's on a business tariff and "can't help".

Is the only option to wait until we are in on 1 July and sort it out then?

TIA

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Since he is not yet the tenant there is nothing he can do.

When he does take possession on the 1st contact them and tell them he is now the occupier as from the 1st and give them the meter readings which he/you will take on the 1st and tell them it's a domestic supply and ask them is that the case.

If they say no, it's business, ask that it be changed to domestic because that's what the meter is supplying, domestic premises.

When the bill comes it will most likely be a business one so at that point refuse to pay and raise a complaint about them trying to charge business rates - and business vat - for a domestic supply.
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I wouldn't be signing up unless the letting agents get it sorted, either themselves or via landlord. The think it's ok to let a domestic rental with a business electricity supply, do they?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Agree with Talldave - the landlord or letting agent needs to do this. At present the letting is not really fit for service.

Be prepared for a few rocky months while this gets sorted.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Talldave
    Options
    I also speak from personal experience at my current property rental having had my first switch attempt blocked because the meter was logged as business, despite around two years of previous letting since the property was converted from commercial back to domestic.

Fortunately for me, Ovo - the supplier at the time - were fantastic at getting the national database updated within a couple of weeks. Especially when you consider that I needed them to make the change just so I could leave for another supplier!
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Thanks all.

The letting agent is point blank refusing to help. The property is empty so I am at a loss as to where we should go.

EDF have today asked for a VAT REC form to be completed - I tried although it needed the current contractees name and info.....

I would like to advise the Letting Agent that I hold them liable for the additional VAT but would like some legislation to back up anything I claim- does anyone know if there is any?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    By way of an update in case anyone finds themselves in this position. EDF didn't do anything despite assurances it would be dealt with within 24 hours.

I went back to the letting agent and send a written notice advising them I would be holding them responsible for the failure to revert the meter back to a domestic tariff. I advised them all costs incurred due to being on a business tariff would be payable by them.

I had a phone call within 5 minutes of the email I sent and by 9am the next morning the meter had been changed to a domestic tariff.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good for you! Sometimes you just have to show these idiots who is boss. I considered switching to EDF for all of five minutes until I realised just how woefully poor their customer service is.

Congrats! :T
  • Talldave
    Options
    By way of an update in case anyone finds themselves in this position. EDF didn't do anything despite assurances it would be dealt with within 24 hours.

I went back to the letting agent and send a written notice advising them I would be holding them responsible for the failure to revert the meter back to a domestic tariff. I advised them all costs incurred due to being on a business tariff would be payable by them.

I had a phone call within 5 minutes of the email I sent and by 9am the next morning the meter had been changed to a domestic tariff.

Well done. The other trick to get letting agents to do their job is to stop paying rent. It has a similar amazing effect in making things happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure