PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

RE: Greedy Lanlord - advice on deposit protection scheme query

Options

Comments

• Rocky1976
    Rocky1976 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks to all who replied to my thread.

I really felt really overwhelmed by your kindness to help.

I am going to dispute the matter first and planning to take them to court if the dispute process did not serve the purpose.

Any suggestions or experience on the second options.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rocky1976 wrote: »

I am going to dispute the matter first and planning to take them to court if the dispute process did not serve the purpose.

Unless the L failed to protect the deposit there should be no need for Court. It is the job of the DPS to reach a fair settlement.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Now I feel it is not about the money but to teach them a lesson for their attitude and ignorance.
    Aha. Now we get to the nub of it.
  • bobwilson
    bobwilson Posts: 595 Forumite
    Options
    Bear in mind we don't know how bad it is. I've had a lodger ruin & completely destroy everything he came into contact with, and a written description alone wouldn't have done justice to the mess left behind- you had to see it to believe it.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Honestly, the likelihood of needing to go to court is very very minute and not worth stressing about or planning for.

First inform the landlady that you do not agree to the deductions she wants and will formally dispute it. Start the dispute process and as and when you need help, post on this board with questions.

Again, from experience the dispute resolution mechanism is quite fair, can all be done from home, and the landlady has to provide relevant evidence to back up their claims. The tenant also gets ample opportunity to respond to any new points brought up by the landlord. All this will be with the background of you having lived in the property for almost 4 years, with kids, ie. commensurate wear and tear.

Good luck!

• Facknats
    Facknats Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DPS is great, I wouldn't worry too much if you have email and photo evidence of everything. The last two properties I've had the DPS agreed around £300-400 more than the letting agents were trying to scam for. Landlord is just being a chancer, they will make audacious claims in the hope that you won't have kept evidence.
  • Rocky1976
    Rocky1976 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks All once again for your time.

I will start the dispute process and ill you all updated as we go in..
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Facknats wrote: »
    DPS is great, I wouldn't worry too much if you have email and photo evidence of everything. The last two properties I've had the DPS agreed around £300-400 more than the letting agents were trying to scam for. Landlord is just being a chancer, they will make audacious claims in the hope that you won't have kept evidence.

According to the OP they don't have check out photos.
    So they need to consider what evidence they do have.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Rocky1976
    Options
    Dear All,

Good afternoon.

I have received the final verdict from the mydeposit team and overall I am very pleased.

They are unbiased, fair and decisions are based on only from evidences.

They have rejected the landlord's decision to over charge me as above (479 quids!!- for cleaning and decoration) and I will be paying only 50 pounds from my deposit.

This 50 pounds also as I committed on the application to pay the landlord. The decision was based on failure of the landlord to provide the photo evidences. Though she had photos but not dated to proved they were taken at the start of tenancy!!

I am extremely pleased, in fact I was happy for the landlord to take some money but she was vicious and greedy. I hope she learned the lesson and be fair with the future tenants.

I am also thankful to her for disproportionately raising the rent from which I have bought a new home now!

Finally I would like to say thanks all those kind souls who responded while I was very upset and helpless.

Have a good day.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Great news :)

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how it worked out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure