18yr old birthday & pocket money

Options
mutley74
mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi everyone,
my son will be 18 in a few months. We are a bit estranged from each other with just odd communication. He lives with his grandparents more than me past few months. I am single dad.

he will be 18 soon. Just trying to figure out what is best to get him, something memorable so in years to come he will know I have still been there for him. I don't buy expensive jewelry or watches. I was thinking of just giving him £1,000 cheque so he can do whatever he wants, but appreciate any ideas small and big.

Also when he is 18, is it best to just pay all child maintenance and any other money direct to him so he can manage his own full affairs?

thanks

Comments

• Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You are joking?,right?
    You want him to have something so that in years to come he can appreciate that you carded demonstrably.nyernyou want to give him money?!

No, in my opinion this is the time for something he has always wanted,
    My son got a good quality acoustic guitar, he wasn't in to jewellery or watches., but if he had been ,that's what I would have bought him.

He still has the guitar but money just goes , often with little to show for it,especially at that young age.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'd get a decent watch

And child maintenance goes to whoever it was going to. If he's still in education that's likely to carry on until he is 19.

If, however, it is just pocket money, it goes to whoever you like.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Take him away for a holiday.
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. He already has an expensive watch given by someone else last year, thus did not see point of buying him another expensive watch.
    His only hobby is gaming.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,204 Forumite
    Options
    I'm afraid if you don't know him well enough to know what he likes, we will not know any better!

Holiday vouchers so he can have a fab experience?
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,068 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not spend some time with him and build memories rather than throwing money around?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,953 Forumite
    Options
    Why not ask him to meet up and then talk to him about how you would like to do something memorable to celebrate him being 18. Ask if he wants to do that or defer to his 21st or similar? Ask him if he wants money in a savings account towards something, or maybe to go to a big gaming meet up overseas or similar (with you or with a friend or alone).

I agree with the people who suggested you use this as a chance to be in touch and make a gesture he would appreciate.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £1000 as cash might just vanish.

A voucher for driving lessons is probably the most sensible thing, if he hasn't already learned. It might not be exciting, but it's probably the most useful.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 June 2019 at 5:23PM
    Options
    My son was 18 last year and I can't remember what we gave as a physical gift.

ETA - Now I've had a think I believe it was something for his computer. Son is also into gaming and is on a computer degree, so this was more beneficial than a watch or jewellery to him.

In addition
    What I do remember us getting him

He did a trip round Europe with his Dad for a midweek break (I stayed home with younger sister)

We gave him the cash from the bank account which we'd been saving since he was little. We'd allowed him to dip into it a couple of times as he grew up and needed something, but he'd sort of forgotten about it's existance. However he didn't get it on his birthday, he was given it the week before he went to University and was to subsidise him whilst there with the stipulation when it was gone, that was it, there'd be no more.

Assumming you're in England or Wales is your son's 18th birthday before 1st Sept this year? It will depend on what he's doing education/workwise whether you will need to continue paying maintainance.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £1000 as cash might just vanish.

A voucher for driving lessons is probably the most sensible thing, if he hasn't already learned. It might not be exciting, but it's probably the most useful.

I was going to suggest driving lessons.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport