Universal Credit in Belfast?

Possom
Possom Posts: 433 Forumite
I read on the NI Direct website that:

"Universal Credit is being introduced in Northern Ireland on a phased geographical basis."

Would anyone happen to know if this is currently available in Belfast?

Thanks.

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, it has been rolling out all around Belfast since last year or even the year before district by district. They had big billboards up and notices on public transport telling you about it.

The last one I spotted was for the Shaftesbury area from October 2018, I am in south Belfast and a neighbour has been receiving it since last year.
  • DE5T1NY
    DE5T1NY Posts: 43 Forumite
    Try googling this "Full rollout of Universal Credit benefit delayed in Northern Ireland until 2020"

The benefit was introduced in Northern Ireland in September 2017 for new benefit claimants. But the report is dated "January 12 2019" so I think it means if you have been receiving benefits before that date you don't need to change over (think the delayed part above gives a hint) but if you make a new/fresh or update you claim you might have to go on the UC system. Best see your local MP :( or local advice center for better advice. Again try "belfast advice centers" to advance your search

Good health and luck
  • Tansy_1980
    Tansy_1980 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Yup - all new claims for benefits from people of working age are made to Universal Credit (unless that person gets a Severe Disability Premium as part of existing benefits). So if, for example, an existing JSA claimant decides to move out into his/her own home, that person cannot apply for Housing Benefit and must instead make a new claim for UC. The JSA claim will end and entitlement to support with housing and living costs will instead be worked out under UC rules.

If you are currently claiming benefits, you can be moved or "migrated" to Universal Credit and off your existing benefits and tax credits if you have a relevant change in circumstances (such as starting or leaving work, moving in with or splitting up with a partner etc).

"Managed" migration of claimants, where the government moves people over to the new system even though there has been no relevant change in the person's circumstances was supposed to start this year, but has now been delayed. The process should start in 2020 and should complete by 2023.

More information here: https://www.housingadviceni.org/universal-credit and here: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/campaigns/universal-credit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure