Is this a scam number ?

Options
kah22
kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
edited 20 June 2019 at 7:45PM in Phones & TV
I’ve been called by a Leeds number that I don’t recognise and, therefore, didn’t answer 0..0.4.4.1.1.3.3.2.0.3.7.1.5 (sent this way to break any link) and I’m wondering is it a scam number

I’ve ran the number through two of the online checkers but to no avail and was wondering if anyone here had come across it.

I was thinking of texting them and asking who they were but when I thought about it I thought it was defeating the objective !

Any help?

Kevin

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That isn't a Leeds number. That's a mobile number, its starts 07. Leeds phone numbers start 0113.
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry got that wrong initially and didn’t get it edited in time ☺️ it should have read 0..0.4.4.1.1.3.3.2.0.3.7.1.5
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Caller ID cannot be relied on to identify who is calling. This is because numbers can be spoofed. If it was important they would have left a message.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Easiest solution:

Ignore it. Caller ID can be spoofed as above and just because it claims to be from Leeds or Outer Mongolia doesn't mean it is, it could have come from your next door neighbour for all you know.

If in any doubt as to the legitimacy of any number, don't answer it. Simple as. Anybody genuine will either leave a message or call back later.
  • DreamMachine_2
    Options
    Apparently an area code number can be purchased from BT and used by someone outside of that area or country to make it look like they have a business in your local area, not very ethical of BT
  • Queenriderbrekke
    Options
    https://who-called.co.uk/Number/01133203715

Looks like cold calling/insurance
    "Sealed Pot challenge" member No. 138

2012 £ 3147.74 2013 £1437.532014 £ 2356.52
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fixed it for you ...
    Apparently an area code number can be purchased from BT [or any one of the other multiple hundreds of telecoms providers and resellers] and used by someone outside of that area or country to make it look like they have a business in your local area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure