Who's liability?

Mr_Singleton
Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
Cat runs into the road in front of my car this morning. Luckily it went under the car and not the wheels so no harm done.

Turns out that it's going to be made law that running over an out of control cat a "reportable" incident..... coz the police obviously have nothing better to do.

Anyway my point is.....Is this the first step in making motorists liable for vets bills? Also what liability will owners have for their out of control pets?

Comments

• a.turner
    a.turner Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post
    Does that mean the owner will also be responsible for them !!!!!!!! in other people's gardens?
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Cat runs into the road in front of my car this morning. Luckily it went under the car and not the wheels so no harm done.

Turns out that it's going to be made law that running over an out of control cat a "reportable" incident..... coz the police obviously have nothing better to do.

Anyway my point is.....Is this the first step in making motorists liable for vets bills? Also what liability will owners have for their out of control pets?

And do you have a source for this?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Its on a long line of private members bills still waiting to be heard
  • Mr_Singleton
    DUTR wrote: »
    And do you have a source for this?

There's lots of stuff on google.....
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/cat-run-over-law-hit-15978253.amp
  • a.turner
    a.turner Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post

The fact the headline says could somewhat undermines your op.
  • Mr_Singleton
    edited 19 June 2019 at 12:12PM
    Ok a misuse of words but the intention is there.

Also worth noting a number of cat owners have tried? to sue motorists for vets bills.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Need to prove the owner was negligent if you want to get into a liability blame game. Cats are free-roamers and always will be I would guess, dogs are a bit different.

If someone ran over my dog or cat and it costs me £3,000 in vet bills, I doubt I would go after the driver as I wouldn't be able to prove they were negligent....dog/cat cam maybe - I here a Dragon's Den pitch going on!
  • Mr_Singleton
    Thanks.....it all gets a bit fuzzy when you're dealing with cats. Would a motorist have a claim against a cat owner for things like cleaning a car? (I'll leave that to your imagination!)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    Ok a misuse of words but the intention is there.

Also worth noting a number of cat owners have tried? to sue motorists for vets bills.
    "The intention is there ..."

The intention of one backbench MP and a number of his misguided supporters. Its chances of becoming law are about the same as those of my winning the lottery.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Many cat 'owners' have signed a petition to seek a change in the law that any driver who runs over a cat notifies the police, as they already have to with dogs, because they then find out their cat has been injured/killed rather than thinking they have walked off into another home or been catnapped.

I know people not into cats / keeping animals don't care and don't see why it should be a law but for those people who do means they have closure and not keep looking.

From my point of view I would have found out a few days earlier my cat had been run over and killed instead of keep looking for him; instead it was the neighbours who asked me a few days after he went missing if I knew what to do with a dead cat they had, not theirs and they had seen it deliberately run over.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure