We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Anti-Burglar Bush!

Options
I had a face looking through my window at 3.00 am a few days ago which has made me motivated to try and put an obstacle on the dirt outside to prevent this sort of tampering.

I wanted to plant something like a Berberis (Japanese Barberry) or Pyracantha but my cousin reckons planting anything that close to the house will mess with the foundations, i explained that the idea was to keep the bush smallish just under the windows to cause tamperers a problem if they try to get close to the windows.

Have been considering a large planter with a bush in it but cousin has put me off what to do, i do consider thorny blackberry bushes one of the best deterrents i have ever seen but they do look such a mess due to their rambling nature.

Please help me find a solution!
Time Is The Enemy!

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'd check on pyracantha roots, may not be a bad near foundations but I'm no expert. It would be my first choice of a deterrent

Something like a rosa rugosa? Can become a thug but smells lovely in summer. Would take a brave soul to get close to one

https://www.thespruce.com/growing-and-caring-for-rugosa-roses-1403053
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Spender£
    Spender£ Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I'd check on pyracantha roots, may not be a bad near foundations but I'm no expert. It would be my first choice of a deterrent

Something like a rosa rugosa? Can become a thug but smells lovely in summer. Would take a brave soul to get close to one

https://www.thespruce.com/growing-and-caring-for-rugosa-roses-1403053

Have one of these round the back, could just aswell take a cutting.
    Time Is The Enemy!
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I grow Rose rugosa on allotment to stop thieves. Your best buying them out of season as bareroot plants they around £1-£1.50 each. They will be established plants at least 2 years old. I bought mine on line from ebay. I have about 60 of them. They will spread so if they dont want the runners I just use a shovel to dig them up as they get onto my beds where I grow crops
  • Spender£
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    I grow Rose rugosa on allotment to stop thieves. Your best buying them out of season as bareroot plants they around £1-£1.50 each. They will be established plants at least 2 years old. I bought mine on line from ebay. I have about 60 of them. They will spread so if they dont want the runners I just use a shovel to dig them up as they get onto my beds where I grow crops

That sounds great, i would like them to cover 7ft length of window area, sounds like they grow really fast.
    Time Is The Enemy!
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    +1 for Rosa Rugosa in terms of vicious thorns, but I'd probably get it in planter (which then gives rise to a number further problems - buying a planter large enough not to get nicked itself or used as step up, sourcing a plant big enough to fill the planter etc etc)

Our Rosa came via the birds about 7-8 years ago, we transplanted it when we moved house and now it's over 6' tall

But +1 on Pyracantha too - not quite as thorny but very easy to keep trimmed in shape

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rugosa rosa gives out suckers that can be pulled up and planted - that's how I have got mine - free. It does grow quickly. Lovely scented blooms & nice big rosehips for the birds to feed off when it's finished flowering.

Horrible having someone peering in your window.
  • Spender£
    Options
    +1 for Rosa Rugosa in terms of vicious thorns, but I'd probably get it in planter (which then gives rise to a number further problems - buying a planter large enough not to get nicked itself or used as step up, sourcing a plant big enough to fill the planter etc etc)

Our Rosa came via the birds about 7-8 years ago, we transplanted it when we moved house and now it's over 6' tall

But +1 on Pyracantha too - not quite as thorny but very easy to keep trimmed in shape

I have got two very large planters which are so heavy i started using them in place of hanging baskets around the front because the baskets were being taken in the night, they are a plastic type but in the style of oak barrels.
    Time Is The Enemy!
  • Spender£
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Rugosa rosa gives out suckers that can be pulled up and planted - that's how I have got mine - free. It does grow quickly. Lovely scented blooms & nice big rosehips for the birds to feed off when it's finished flowering.

Horrible having someone peering in your window.

Yes, despite the fact the vertical blinds were closed i came downstairs for some water in the early hours and could see the outline of a tall figure through the blinds, i pulled the blinds apart and they scarpered, this did shake me up so want to put something along there to hinder them getting that close to the windows, my neighbour recommended a bed of nails lol.
    Time Is The Enemy!
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 June 2019 at 8:02PM
    Options
    This is kind of thing I have I have two different varieties one pink the other white

I trim them once a year and also cut off any runners that creep in too far. The excess cuttings I compost they soon rot down if I cut them into smaller pieces. I just use a cordless hedge trimmer

20190603-104530.jpg
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spender, your cousin sounds so negative on any suggestions...are sure that wasn’t the face at the window? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure