Forum Home» Energy

What has happened to Economy 7 tariffs ?

New Post Advanced Search

What has happened to Economy 7 tariffs ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
3 replies 411 views
ColinKistruckColinKistruck Forumite
2 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Has anyone else noticed that hardly any new tariffs with nearly all energy suppliers ( big and small ) do not now have different unit prices for day and night units under the Economy 7 system.
I've been looking to change suppliers ( to continue saving money ), but its seems now, despite listing Economy 7 tariffs, the cost per unit is exactly the same Day or Night.
Is this just another sneaky way to increase the cost and profits.
Also its a disincentive to decrease the peak load on the electricity grid by shifting demand, something we desperately need to do.

Replies

• kapumkapum Forumite
    24 posts
    Has anyone else noticed that hardly any new tariffs with nearly all energy suppliers ( big and small ) do not now have different unit prices for day and night units under the Economy 7 system.
    I've been looking to change suppliers ( to continue saving money ), but its seems now, despite listing Economy 7 tariffs, the cost per unit is exactly the same Day or Night.
    Also its a disincentive to decrease the peak load on the electricity grid by shifting demand, something we desperately need to do.

No, I can't say I have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    MoneySaving Newbie
    i don t think its anything sinister .You would be surprised how widespread Eco 7 meter s are where they have been installed in newer properties with gas central heating from new.
    As a long term meter reader I have been to many towns, usually close to large power stations , where Eco 7 meter s are in every property , the majority without night storage heaters.Towns like Worksop, Mansfield and Retford have large numbers of Eco 7.
    I think it is to encourage night use to keep the power stations going as electricity cannot be stored.
    A day and night rate, fairly close in price will appeal to these users who typically will only use 15% to 20 % night rate uses
  • TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I'm switching to Yorkshire Energy who's Green Weasel E7 tariff has a break even of 15% night time usage for me.