What has happened to Economy 7 tariffs ?

Options
Has anyone else noticed that hardly any new tariffs with nearly all energy suppliers ( big and small ) do not now have different unit prices for day and night units under the Economy 7 system.
I've been looking to change suppliers ( to continue saving money ), but its seems now, despite listing Economy 7 tariffs, the cost per unit is exactly the same Day or Night.
Is this just another sneaky way to increase the cost and profits.
Also its a disincentive to decrease the peak load on the electricity grid by shifting demand, something we desperately need to do.

Comments

• kapum
    kapum Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that hardly any new tariffs with nearly all energy suppliers ( big and small ) do not now have different unit prices for day and night units under the Economy 7 system.
    I've been looking to change suppliers ( to continue saving money ), but its seems now, despite listing Economy 7 tariffs, the cost per unit is exactly the same Day or Night.
    Also its a disincentive to decrease the peak load on the electricity grid by shifting demand, something we desperately need to do.

No, I can't say I have.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    i don t think its anything sinister .You would be surprised how widespread Eco 7 meter s are where they have been installed in newer properties with gas central heating from new.
    As a long term meter reader I have been to many towns, usually close to large power stations , where Eco 7 meter s are in every property , the majority without night storage heaters.Towns like Worksop, Mansfield and Retford have large numbers of Eco 7.
    I think it is to encourage night use to keep the power stations going as electricity cannot be stored.
    A day and night rate, fairly close in price will appeal to these users who typically will only use 15% to 20 % night rate uses
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm switching to Yorkshire Energy who's Green Weasel E7 tariff has a break even of 15% night time usage for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure