New Post Advanced Search

Benefits paid to relative

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
2 replies 470 views
scb2503scb2503 Forumite
8 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits

Does anyone have any advice or experience on how to check with DWP what benefits my elderly father is claiming / being paid. I am Power of Attorney for him.

A trawl on the DWP website suggests contacting the benefits office but I'm finding it near impossible to find the appropriate contact number.



  • anmarjanmarj Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    0800 731 0469 - if your POA are not registered with DWP you will need to do that first before they will speak or send information out
  • xylophonexylophone Forumite
    34.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Have you checked your father's papers for his state pension update (around March this year)? If he is receiving other benefits (Attendance Allowance/PC etc), there should also be letters from DWP.

    Have you checked his bank account(s)?

    If the person you care for needs help with managing their benefit-related affairs you can apply to the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) to become an “Appointee”.

    Please note if a Property and Financial Affairs Lasting Power of Attorney or a Court of Protection appointed Deputy is already in place the DWP will accept this instead.

    A relative of mine had PoA for his relative who was in receipt of SP and AA.

    He needed to send a certified copy ( done by his relative's solicitor) of the PoA to the DWP and to HMRC and to every financial institution with which the relative had dealings so that it could be registered in their records.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support