Credit card portfolio

Options
124»

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Barclaycard - My main CC. Balance cleared in full every month.

Halifax MC - Backup card / occasional use to keep it alive.

Virgin Visa - Balance transfer with circa £2k sitting on it interest free.
  • SlovakianGuy
    SlovakianGuy Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Card 1: As an Asda employee I use Asda credit card, both for cashback and 0% spending abroad. 1.5% cashback on all Asda spend, 0.5% everywhere else, including abroad. I pay the balance in full every month. It has relatively low credit limit of £1500.

Card 2: Nationwide Select, credit limit £2200. I used this for 0% fee spending abroad, plus it has 12 months 0% interest which has now expired so I only keep it as a backup and spend small amounts every month, just to keep direct debit active.

Card 3: Barclaycard Platinum Visa, credit limit £5000 (I didn't expect that much tbh). Zero % on purchases for 20 months. I'll be using this one for bigger purchases, such as car insurance or holidays. I only have it for 3 weeks so almost nothing spent on it yet. Plus, I received £25 "goodwill" on it since I was complaining about not receiving a confirmation email right after the registration. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Card 1: As an Asda employee I use Asda credit card, both for cashback and 0% spending abroad. 1.5% cashback on all Asda spend, 0.5% everywhere else, including abroad. I pay the balance in full every month. It has relatively low credit limit of £1500.

Card 2: Nationwide Select, credit limit £2200. I used this for 0% fee spending abroad, plus it has 12 months 0% interest which has now expired so I only keep it as a backup and spend small amounts every month, just to keep direct debit active.

Card 3: Barclaycard Platinum Visa, credit limit £5000 (I didn't expect that much tbh). Zero % on purchases for 20 months. I'll be using this one for bigger purchases, such as car insurance or holidays. I only have it for 3 weeks so almost nothing spent on it yet. Plus, I received £25 "goodwill" on it since I was complaining about not receiving a confirmation email right after the registration. :)

Read the T’s and C’s of the Barclaycard - purchases may have to be made within the first XX days of account opening to qualify for the 0% offer.
  • SlovakianGuy
    SlovakianGuy Posts: 303 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2019 at 5:49AM
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Read the T’s and C’s of the Barclaycard - purchases may have to be made within the first XX days of account opening to qualify for the 0% offer.

Thanks mate. I just had a quick look but couldn't find it anywhere. What I don't like about Barclays, they don't send you any paper or anything that shows your own interest rates, etc. My friend applied for their card too and she was complaining about the same thing. Barclays only sends some leaflet and general info but you can't see your own interest free period, etc. I had to call them after opening my account just to confirm that I have the full 20 months 0% purchases., because when I viewed "Transfers & offers" in my Barclaycard account, it says I have no purchase offers, only balance transfer offers, which obviously is something different. Very confusing. Almost looks to me like they do this on purpose, so you will miss something and pay them the interest later on. Maybe I will have to call them again, this time asking about the purchase period you've mentioned.
  • MisterBaxter
    MisterBaxter Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    When you get your first statement from Barclaycard all of the key details will be on that.
  • pinknsparkly
    pinknsparkly Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    6 credit cards between my husband and I.

- 2 x 0% purchases credit cards with both of us named card holders for slow stoozing (one is now full so we will start using the second one). Minimum monthly repayments. Almost all purchases put on these cards. Will transfer balances to new 0% balance transfer credit card at end of 0% if possible otherwise will pay off from savings. These cards also offer "cashback" in the form of Tesco Clubcard points and Nectar points.
    - 2 x 0% balance transfer credit cards for fast stoozing. Minimum monthly repayments. As above, will balance transfer to another card if possible at end of 0%, otherwise pay off with savings.
    - Halifax Clarity credit card for fee free transactions abroad plus fee free money transfers for filling the balance transfer credit cards. Cleared in full each month.
    - Old 0% purchases credit card - used for occasional small purchases to maintain credit history. Cleared in full each month.
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • st182
    st182 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting :) I have 3:

1) Card from same provider as my bank which I carry just incase, only used on occasion, paid off in full next calendar month if used (one click on my app and its done)
    2) 0% balance transfer card from a previous debt nearly paid off, nearly at end of 0% period- will retain but not carry incase credit ever needed
    3) 0% purchase card now maxed out and will be getting hit hard to bring balance down before 0% over with- hoping to bring this down to a level this year and do the debt free challenge in 2020 to clear it altogether

So many people tell me credit cards are the devil- however, I'm not exactly the most disciplined when it comes to finance, and I've found them to be a very handy tool. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure