Confused with pip process

Hi, id really appreciate some help with my situation with regards to dla to pip process..
So i have been claiming dla for over 10 years ( lower rate care ) As i suffer with long term mental health issues, which I take medication for and have regular physiatrist appointments. I received a letter telling me than i couldn't claim dla any longer as it was endind and i would have to ring them to claim pip. I had someone phone on my behalf last week, they said that they would send out “how your disability affects you” forms which would need to be filled in and returned for them to assess. Yesterday I received a letter saying I needed to attend a face to face appointment (which I am prepared to do) but i haven't received their form they said they would send yet! Is this normal procedure? I haven't been given a chance to produce any evidence of my illness beforehand, obviously they have no idea of how mentally challenging it is for people who suffer with this kind of illness, as they want me to attend face to face appointment on June 26!! There is no way i am able to go to this, as it is way to short notice. I would have to prepare myself mentally for this and for someone to literally stick to me throughout. I have been physically sick with worrying about this. I have severe anxiety and have frequent panic attacks when i go outside, i cant handle people/crowds. I avoid any social/ public situations at all costs! Now having to put myself through such trauma of a face to face appointment with a total stranger, really is pushing me over the edge, I honestly don't think i am actually mentally capable of achieving it. Any advice which could help me regarding this would be really appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    No, this isn't normal, you should have received the PIP2 form to fill in and return with all your evidence.

When did you start your claim off? It's possible that they sent the form and you didn't receive it and because you're claiming for mental health they are just sending you for the face to face assessment.

Give DWP a ring first thing Monday morning (PIP) and tell them that you didn't receive the form. You also need to ring the number on the letter and tell them.
  • Scoobydooz
    Scoobydooz Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    poppy12345 thank you so much, I've searched and searched for help with this and everywhere I've looked says you fill in forms first, for them to assess. The phone call to activate pip claim was made Wednesday afternoon, had letter for face to face appointment Friday morning!
  • poppy12345
    Scoobydooz wrote: »
    poppy12345 thank you so much, I've searched and searched for help with this and everywhere I've looked says you fill in forms first, for them to assess. The phone call to activate pip claim was made Wednesday afternoon, had letter for face to face appointment Friday morning!
    No, that's most definitely ridiculously quick. It can take a week to receive the form, then there's the time on top of that in which to return them, which is 1 month from when the forms are sent out. There's also extra time given if you ring to request it and they'll give you a further 14 days.

Definitely ring them both Monday morning.
  • Scoobydooz
    Thank you for you advice poppy12345, much appreciated.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I second what poppy has advised, that is way too quick; possibly instead of sending the correct form they sent a medical appointment? Nothing would suprise me

Also, when you return the form, send a letter from your Psychiatrist requesting a face to face be at home and why you couldn't attend it at an assessment centre, I did this (recently moved from DLA to PIP for mental illnesses) and it was done and home & was no problem at all.
  • poppy12345
    I second what poppy has advised, that is way too quick; possibly instead of sending the correct form they sent a medical appointment? Nothing would suprise me
    That's probably not what's happened here. DWP send the PIP2 forms out but the health assessment providers send out the appointment letters. Face to face assessments have nothing to do with DWP.
  • Scoobydooz
    UKTigerlily thank you for your advice, i will definitely do what you suggested. I would be much more comfortable having a home visit. Ive been thinking about just stopping the claim as this process is making me a bag of nerves. I feel I'm being pushed into the unknown and nothing i can do. I really hope I'm given to time to fill in forms first, and a chance to provide evidence of my illness for them to assess. I will be contacting them Monday, fingers crossed.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Just a thought. Do you receive ESA and is it possible the face to face is to do with that and you have mixed it up?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    calcotti wrote: »
    Just a thought. Do you receive ESA and is it possible the face to face is to do with that and you have mixed it up?
    Good point, i didn't think of that. OP who is the assessment with?
  • Scoobydooz
    I had thought about that. Yes i do receive ESA, but i was only assessed by them in February ( not face to face, returned form with evidence to support my claim) Ive read over the letter again it is from DWP it says.. We have been asked by the department for work and pensions to carry out an assessment in relation to your benefit claim. The appointment is at centre for health and disability assessments ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure