Plastering Quote - Rip Off Or Not?

Options
Hello people,

I've recently bought a mid terraced house in South Lancashire. I've stripped all the walls/celings and as expected I need to get them skimmed before I let the wife loose with the dulux.

The house consists of - 1x dining room (12 ft x 12 ft), 1x lounge (12 ft x 12 ft), a kitchen extension (12 ft x 7ft), a standard stairs/landing, 1x master bedroom (12 ft x 12 ft), a second bedroom (9 ft x 7 ft) and a bathroom (9 ft x 6ft). Obviously these sizings are approximate to keep things simple.

All walls are "tight" with only the very occassional bit of loose plaster and therefore just need to be skimmed. The ceilings have all been boarded in the last few years but have not been plastered (the previous owner decided to paper directly onto plasterboard).

Anyway I've been quoted - £3100 (inc materials) to have the whole house skimmed. He can start next week and says it will take 8-10 days.

Having never had this kind of work done before I'd like to know if this is excessive? I've arranged for a few more quotes over the next few days but it'd be nice to know what you moneysavers think.

Comments

• owls
    owls Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

First of all id be weary of people who can start a decent size job like this straight away,perhaps a small job but a job of this size? why are they not busy.

besides that i think 3100 is a bit on the heavy side, just for reskiming

id say more like 2 and a half mark. when they are giving you the quotes ask if they are using a british gypsum sealant called Thistle Bond it is used to seal the background surface as opposed to using pva-proir to skimming as this is quite expensive around 40 quid a tub mark and theyd need a good 5 or 6 tubs to do a house this might explain why the step quote.
  • YOUNGE1
    YOUNGE1 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Options
    how much should plastering be per sq m?
  • gemma.zhang
    Options
    hmm.. i think it's bit too much.. we are currrently having similar things done.. strip off the wall paper, skim, fix the damp corner of the master bedroom, put some layer (don't understand, water proof), plaster, and apply 2 coats. we only need to do the final finish paint ourselves. Also fix the glutter, and move the centre heading pipe to the corner, remove the water tank in the loft to the corner.. We live in west london, it's 2 bed cottage.. 2 up - 2 down.. it's 2700 pounds including vat...

as u live in the north.. I will expect less if it's not much less..

take a few more quotes. and good luck.
  • jason_s_2
    jason_s_2 Posts: 395 Forumite
    Options
    Id say about £2300-2500,but every plasterer will have a different price,ring round and get 3 quotes,i think your be surprised at the difference.

Jase
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport