Best card to collect airmiles?

I live abroad but am a UK citizen. Assuming I can get a card (and I have before), what might be my best option for collecting airmiles from all airlines globally? This is my one and only reason for getting a credit card so as long as it allows me to get airmiles for purchases made with it, I'm interested. I prefer no fee, but if a fee gives exceptional benefits then I'd consider it.
Thanks for any and all recommendations.

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,293
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I thought that all UK cards require the cardholder to be a resident of the United Kingdom.

Anyhow, MSE has an article on this:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/airline-credit-cards/
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,873
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It's come up on other threads that if you're just putting normal spending on your card without buying say expensive holidays, it could take close to decades rather thanyears for you to earn enough for a couple of short return flights (UK to Europe say).
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Apply for a card in the country you now live in
  • zagubov wrote: »
    It's come up on other threads that if you're just putting normal spending on your card without buying say expensive holidays, it could take close to decades rather thanyears for you to earn enough for a couple of short return flights (UK to Europe say).
    This won't be an issue for me.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 June 2019 at 6:55AM
    Notwithstanding the difficulties of getting a UK card whilst living overseas ....

To take your question at face value then the "best option for collecting airmiles from all airlines globally" is unquestionably an AMEX that lets you earn MR (Membership reward) points. These can be exchanged for miles in a significant number of airlines' schemes - although some major airlines aren't included so you should check the current list.

However, if you are already an active frequent flyer utilising many schemes then you will almost certainly have a favourite scheme (or rather a favourite alliance - oneworld, star alliance etc), and there may be a card for that specific scheme with a better earning rate than an MR AMEX, or with other extra benefits such as free upgrades or partner flights after certain target spends.
  • Thanks! :beer:
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would also consider the country you live in, currency and local credit cards offer as any spend you will do with a UK card may cost you more due to currency exchanges and fee. For instance Amex is not great for foreign spend and conversion fee, so unless you have to do the majority of spend in GBP it does not make sense having a UK version.
  • I can spend in GBP so not an issue. Thanks.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,614
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you're eligible for UK cards, its also worth looking at the card comparisons/reviews they have at https://www.headforpoints.com/
  • msallen wrote: »
    Notwithstanding the difficulties of getting a UK card whilst living overseas ....

To take your question at face value then the "best option for collecting airmiles from all airlines globally" is unquestionably an AMEX that lets you earn MR (Membership reward) points. These can be exchanged for miles in a significant number of airlines' schemes - although some major airlines aren't included so you should check the current list.

However, if you are already an active frequent flyer utilising many schemes then you will almost certainly have a favourite scheme (or rather a favourite alliance - oneworld, star alliance etc), and there may be a card for that specific scheme with a better earning rate than an MR AMEX, or with other extra benefits such as free upgrades or partner flights after certain target spends.

I also rate the Amex SPG card - https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/credit-cards/starwood-preferred-guest-credit-card/

The points can be converted to airline miles at 3:1 normally, but 3:1.25 if you transfer chunks of 60k points over..

3 points is pretty much equal to 1 MR point for conversion purposes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure