🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Best bank account return for 7.5k lump sum?

Options
As the title says - what would be the best account for return on 7.5k?

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Savings rates here

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-1583859/Best-savings-rates-General-savings-Internet-branch.html

If you have never had a Nationwide Flexdirect current account, you might consider opening one (5% on £2500 for a year) and also a TSB Classic Plus current account (3% on £1500).

The simplest way to manage the monthly input is to set up matching same day SOs for £1000 from each to other.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »

The simplest way to manage the monthly input is to set up matching same day SOs for £1000 from each to other.

Simplest but runs a (very small) risk that one of them will be delayed causing a subsequent one to fail, or worse, send the account overdrawn. Which is why I do all of mine manually.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Stu6781 wrote: »
    As the title says - what would be the best account for return on 7.5k?

Do you need instant access to the money, or is it OK to have it locked away for a period of time?
    What is your appetite for risk?
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Simplest but runs a (very small) risk that one of them will be delayed causing a subsequent one to fail, or worse, send the account overdrawn. Which is why I do all of mine manually.

If you’ve got £1500 in TSB and £2500 in Nationwide and set up 2 SOs on the same day for £1000, NW>TSB and TSB>NW then there is no reason either would go overdrawn as long as you just do a quick app check to make sure they’ve both gone through. You have to log in to TSB once a month to get the interest anyway.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    or you could put it into premium bonds where your return will be between zero and a lot.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

If OP has £2500 in one and £1500 in the other and does matching same day SOs for £1000 there should be no problem.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have to log in to TSB once a month to get the interest anyway.

Do you? Blimey, I've been lucky then. I do log in every month - but only so I can transfer the interest out to another account and maintain my balance at £1500
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you? Blimey, I've been lucky then. I do log in every month - but only so I can transfer the interest out to another account and maintain my balance at £1500

I think so, or it might be NW! I know one of my accounts needs a monthly log in to get the bonus/interest, but I generally check them all at least once a week anyway.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think so, or it might be NW! I know one of my accounts needs a monthly log in to get the bonus/interest, but I generally check them all at least once a week anyway.
    Co-op Everyday Reward perhaps? From memory TSB will downgrade the Classic Plus account if you don't log in for so long...at least a few months, maybe a year. See your T&Cs. If the account is downgraded (to Classic) you lose the interest obviously.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport