Trying to find details of an old lender from the early 1990s

Options
New user to MSE and these forums. Putting out a general question to all, hoping to find some ideas and guidance, reference claiming back PPI before the August deadline. I had a loan many, many, many years ago in the early 1990s. But time has flown by, and I have no ideas about who were the loan company, the amounts involved or timscales. I know this is a long shot, but I believe PPI was probably attached to it, but have absolutely no idea, how to find out any information with regards to gathering the information to put a claim in. Are they any genius ideas about, how one could try and source this information? I have tried calling my old bank, but their records do not go back far enough. Any help and ideas very much appreciated. Regards.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Youngie33 wrote: »
    I know this is a long shot
    It certainly is.
    You don't know the lender. :eek:
    You don't know if there was PPI. :eek:
    It was thirty years ago. :eek:

I don't have any "genius ideas" :eek:

The end. ;)
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 June 2019 at 8:09PM
    Options
    PPI was probably attached to it
    If you manage to find all the details you need . . . (inc. if you even had a PPI policy)

. . how on earth will you remember you're complaint reason(s) :huh:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Justbefair wrote: »
    Don’t be put off by people saying things might be too long ago to be found. I have certainly been given records from the 1990s.
    It is much better that you try to find out... if the results are that no records are there, at least you have the comfort that you looked.
    The OP's search is complicated by the fact that not only does he not know the lender or details of the alleged loan but also by the fact that he doesn't even know if he had any PPI.
    He has already asked his old bank and been told it is too long ago!
    I'm all for encouraging the OP in his search but, realistically, the odds are more than stacked against him.
  • The_squirrell
    Options
    I think you would be better off buying a lottery ticket for tomorrow as the odds would be much better!
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure