Getting a loan to do fun stuff!?

Options
Macc
Macc Posts: 208 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Not sure this is the right forum, sorry if it's not. I'm 36 and I've always been prudent/tight with money. I think perhaps I have been overly so and now having a bit of a moment! Be interested to hear what other people do.

Never had a credit card and my mortgage is the only time I've ever borrowed money. I've built up decent equity in my house and in a rental property I own. Also own/run a small business that would prob a sell for a little bit when comes time to sell. On paper my net worth is OK and in 15 years or so me and my family (wife, 2 kids - 2 and 4) should be quite comfortable once mortgage is paid off and rental mortgage is paid off with rent coming in.

But we don't have spare money to play with now. My salary covers our outgoings and we have a year or so bills in the bank. But we don't have the spare money to go to Disneyworld with the kids or whatever. Friends of mine who have similar jobs/mortgages etc do and I assume it is on credit.

I feel like maybe I am erring too much on the prudent side and insisting we only pay for things with actual cash and not taking on credit is actually making our life worse now in return for a theoretical comfortable future in later life? Do you guys pay for things like holidays with credit card / loans or do you only go if you have the actual money in the bank?

The kids (2 and 4) are still young and I kind of feel like I'd rather have money to spend now while they are kids to make experiences and memories and pay for it down the line than scrimp now and reap the benefit when we are in our 50s/60s and the kids are grown up. I don't care about "things" or having a fancy car or anything but holidays days out etc are such a great thing when you are a kid and don't want to deprive my kids.

I can get 25k loan over 5 years which would be 1.9k in total interest. Basically 1.9k to be able to do fun things for 5 years. No-brainer? Absolute worst case if something drastic happened to my job or health the equity in the house would easily cover the 25k.

Anyone else have this kind of non-buyers regret!? Never really wanted to take on credit but don't want kids to miss out on fun stuff either. What is the best way of loosening the purse strings a little?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Personally, I think it's a no brainer NOT to borrow for something like a holiday.

I'd save for and do it a couple of years.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Macc wrote: »
    Do you guys pay for things like holidays with credit card / loans or do you only go if you have the actual money in the bank?

Paying for things like holidays on credit is silly, don't do it.
    I can get 25k loan over 5 years which would be 1.9k in total interest.

Are you sure about that? Just because someone is offering loans at 2.9% doesn't mean you'll actually get it. In fact it sounds like you might have a fairly thin file, you'll probably not be offered such low interest rates.
    Anyone else have this kind of non-buyers regret!? Never really wanted to take on credit but don't want kids to miss out on fun stuff either. What is the best way of loosening the purse strings a little?

Not by saddling yourself with £25k worth of loan debt that's for sure.
  • Macc
    Macc Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just read my post back and don't think I've phrased it very well. The loan wouldn't be to blow on a load of holidays etc that we wouldn't have otherwise had. But more of an advance. Instead of saving for months/years for it, we can do what we want to do when it is right for us and then save in the same way but to pay it off. Does that make sense? It is the freedom to do what we want when we want that we are looking for.

The frustration atm is we are fairly asset rich but cash poor. We've got the net worth of being able to do what we want whenever but the lifestyle of almost living hand to mouth. Looking for a way to re-balance to a more middle ground so can get some benefit now of being in a decent position overall. Locked into a recent mortgage deal for a while so nothing can do there. What would you suggest if not a loan?

The 25k @ 3.0% has been offered yes, Santander. Seems a low rate?
  • foxtrotoscar_2
    foxtrotoscar_2 Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    Normally people save to do 'fun stuff'...they don't get into debt.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2019 at 6:06PM
    Options
    Just read my post back and don't think I've phrased it very well. The loan wouldn't be to blow on a load of holidays etc that we wouldn't have otherwise had. But more of an advance. Instead of saving for months/years for it, we can do what we want to do when it is right for us and then save in the same way but to pay it off. Does that make sense? It is the freedom to do what we want when we want that we are looking for.

The frustration atm is we are fairly asset rich but cash poor. We've got the net worth of being able to do what we want whenever but the lifestyle of almost living hand to mouth. Looking for a way to re-balance to a more middle ground so can get some benefit now of being in a decent position overall. Locked into a recent mortgage deal for a while so nothing can do there. What would you suggest if not a loan?

You're going to need to find £450 a month to cover your loan repayments, why not just save that for a year or two and go on a really nice holiday?

Honestly you could probably go on a nice holiday with the £5.5k you'll save in one year.

And you'll have an extra £2k in your bank account at the end of five years to do with as you wish, instead of it being in Santander's back pocket.
    The 25k @ 3.0% has been offered yes, Santander. Seems a low rate?

Offered how? I don't think Santander have a soft check for loans so you've done a full application?
  • foxtrotoscar_2
    foxtrotoscar_2 Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    If you are living hand to mouth where is the money going to come from to service a £25k debt?
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    …we are fairly asset rich but cash poor. We've got the net worth of being able to do what we want whenever but the lifestyle of almost living hand to mouth. Looking for a way to re-balance to a more middle ground so can get some benefit now of being in a decent position overall. Locked into a recent mortgage deal for a while so nothing can do there. What would you suggest if not a loan?
    If you want to get some opinions on what your options are, instead of a loan, then you will need to post up your SOA (Statement of Affairs).
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Yellow_mango
    Yellow_mango Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    If you have a years worth of bills in the bank, I’m sure that would fund a holiday or so. I’d borrow from yourself first as and when the time is right (and use the £450 a month you were going to spend repaying the loan to pay yourself back and save for the next holiday).
  • bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure this is the right forum, sorry if it's not. I'm 36 and I've always been prudent/tight with money. I think perhaps I have been overly so and now having a bit of a moment! Be interested to hear what other people do.

Never had a credit card and my mortgage is the only time I've ever borrowed money. I've built up decent equity in my house and in a rental property I own. Also own/run a small business that would prob a sell for a little bit when comes time to sell. On paper my net worth is OK and in 15 years or so me and my family (wife, 2 kids - 2 and 4) should be quite comfortable once mortgage is paid off and rental mortgage is paid off with rent coming in.

But we don't have spare money to play with now. My salary covers our outgoings and we have a year or so bills in the bank. But we don't have the spare money to go to Disneyworld with the kids or whatever. Friends of mine who have similar jobs/mortgages etc do and I assume it is on credit.

I feel like maybe I am erring too much on the prudent side and insisting we only pay for things with actual cash and not taking on credit is actually making our life worse now in return for a theoretical comfortable future in later life? Do you guys pay for things like holidays with credit card / loans or do you only go if you have the actual money in the bank?

The kids (2 and 4) are still young and I kind of feel like I'd rather have money to spend now while they are kids to make experiences and memories and pay for it down the line than scrimp now and reap the benefit when we are in our 50s/60s and the kids are grown up. I don't care about "things" or having a fancy car or anything but holidays days out etc are such a great thing when you are a kid and don't want to deprive my kids.

I can get 25k loan over 5 years which would be 1.9k in total interest. Basically 1.9k to be able to do fun things for 5 years. No-brainer? Absolute worst case if something drastic happened to my job or health the equity in the house would easily cover the 25k.

Not many people have a year or twos worth of money in the bank to cover bills...

Also you have children 4 and 2, best time to have gone to Walt Disney World is before they start school, bit expensive when they do.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You claim you are prudent with money, if so then why don’t you have any savings?

And if you don’t have any cash left over at the end of the month, then how will you afford a loan repayment?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure