Lodger checks?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
9 replies 1.1K views
sevenhillssevenhills Forumite
2.9K posts
Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
I understand that when renting a house a landlord must check to see if their tenant has the right to live here.
But was there a recent case making that requirement redundant?

I have had a lodger for only a week, and there has been a few occurrences. A 999 call for chest pains where the ambulance crew could not find anything to cause it, but he still wanted to go to hospital.
My lodger is from India, meant to be working at a local DIY store, but he seems to like a drop of vodka instead. Although he was getting ready this morning, maybe he has turned a corner.
I have a photo of his passport, driving license and a UK residence permit. It does say restricted work, DR/DEN, SPORTS.
He has no beard in the photos, I donteven know if he is that person; how can I check?

He has paid one month up front, not too many issues for an easy going man like me, but just want to be prepared.

Replies

• Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    12.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're fine. You are only required to evidence you took reasonable steps. Which you have.
  • muhandismuhandis Forumite
    994 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    "Restricted Work No DR/DEN Train or Sportsperson" just means that the person can do any work except the fields mentioned - doctor, dentist, sportsperson.

If you've seen his passport, dl, valid BRP and taken photos, I think that's as much as you can reasonably be expected to do.
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I have a photo of his passport, driving license and a UK residence permit. It does say restricted work, DR/DEN, SPORTS.
    He has no beard in the photos, I donteven know if he is that person; how can I check?

He has paid one month up front, not too many issues for an easy going man like me, but just want to be prepared.
  • sevenhillssevenhills Forumite
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    muhandis wrote: »
    "Restricted Work No DR/DEN Train or Sportsperson" just means that the person can do any work except the fields mentioned - doctor, dentist, sportsperson.

If you've seen his passport, dl, valid BRP and taken photos, I think that's as much as you can reasonably be expected to do.

The photo is years old and without the beard, I have looked at the papers/card, but I could not say who it is.

• muhandismuhandis Forumite
    994 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    There should be 3 photos to compare the person to - Passport, DL and BRP. Do none of the photos resemble your lodger?
    The photo is years old and without the beard, I have looked at the papers/card, but I could not say who it is.
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    muhandis wrote: »
    There should be 3 photos to compare the person to - Passport, DL and BRP. Do none of the photos resemble your lodger?

He looks younger and fatter in his 2016 photo, compared to the 2013 photo, he has a moustache in both photos, now he is thin with a beard.
    I haven't a clue if it's him, I would not make a good passport official.

• G_MG_M Forumite
    52K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Right to Rent (Mandatory checks on tenants' immigration status)

Is there a contract? Verbal or written? If so, what notice period was agreed?

Irrespective of the right to rent issue, if you are unhappy with the lodger, serve notice, evict (no court required for a lodger) and move on.

* Lodgers: advice & links for landlords & lodgers
    ** If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link! **
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    G_M wrote: »
    Right to Rent (Mandatory checks on tenants' immigration status)

Is there a contract? Verbal or written? If so, what notice period was agreed?

No contract at all, he was sober today and happy today, so I am hoping he was working, since I didn't see him all day.

• G_MG_M Forumite
    52K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Well there is a contract in fact- it's implied by the acceptance of rent in return for the keys!

If no notice period was agreed, then 'reasonable' notice is required. Rule of thumb:

* if rent is paid weekly, 1 week's notice.
    * if rent is paid monthly, 1 month's notice.

But other factors may be relevant. So if lodger is drunk, abusive, threatening, disruptive etc, it would be 'reasonable' to give 24 hours notice. Or less......
    ** If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link! **
  • HoneylifeHoneylife Forumite
    209 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭
    No contract at all.

We are in 2019 and people still not using written contracts!

Verbals are difficult to enforce and amount to only "he said she said" Tell me that you took a Deposit please.

On these Forums we have written so much on this topic. :(
    "... during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no." the Pawnbroker 1964
    :(