Airports hike 'kiss and fly' drop-off charges - how to beat them - MSE News

Eight major airports across the UK have upped the cost of dropping off passengers over the last year, a MoneySavingExpert investigation reveals - and one now charges a whopping £7 for a 10-minute drop-off. But at most airports it's possible to beat the fees and drop off for free if you know where to go - we've full airport-by-airport help ...
Read the full story:
'Airports hike 'kiss and fly' drop-off charges - how to beat them'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I’m a little surprised that airlines aren’t wielding their power over this silliness, particularly in the low season.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,934 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    richardw wrote: »
    I’m a little surprised that airlines aren’t wielding their power over this silliness, particularly in the low season.

I think they are quite happy to stay out of the fight.

These extra airport user fees, whether car drop off fees, priority channels through security, charging for liquid bags, paid scales to check bag weighs before check-in etc etc are all ancillary revenue streams for airports.

In theory these extra revenue streams will keep airline landing fees and airport fees down, or at least lower, and this is more what the airlines want to keep in check and for operational airport fees to be as low as possible.

Airports of course will like to dress up the drop off fees as them doing their bit to save the environment from the extra pollution of private car exhaust emissions and the quest to have people use public transport. All greenwash of course. Those who need to travel to the airport for a 5am check-in with the family and 4 x 20kgs suitcases will know that public transport can be far from ideal. They also gloss over the aircraft fuel emissions for the surrounding area.
  • onashoestring
    onashoestring Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Whilst Gatwick don’t charge for dropping off, if you go to pick someone up from the airport you’ll be charged £4 for 30 mins in short stay car park/£8 for 1 hour.

You can park in the long-stay car park FREE for 2 hours & with a shuttle bus to the terminal.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Heathrow Short Term Car Park is only £4.20 for up to 30 minutes. I this is excellent value compared with some of the provincial airports.

Most people don't want to faff around for up to 20 minutes transferring to a free car park, and for a driver picking someone up this could take up to 40 minutes return.

It is these ancillary charges which allow the likes of Ryanair to sell a 1000 mile flight for £18!
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why don't they just increase the landing charges, no one will notice, by forcing car parking charges on people it just causes annoyance..
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Cheap flights work by charging people for the services they use.

Why should someone who goes to the airport by public transport pay for the space needed for private cars to pick up and drop off passengers?

The all inclusive model is dying because people want the cheapest possible fare.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Manchester prices are £3 for 5 mins £4 for10 mins . I recently paid £25 for 12 minutes because the car in front of me was stuggling to pay or was arguing that they were being charged £25 .
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 June 2019 at 1:18AM
    greenface wrote: »
    Manchester prices are £3 for 5 mins £4 for10 mins . I recently paid £25 for 12 minutes because the car in front of me was stuggling to pay or was arguing that they were being charged £25 .

Stopped taking the car to Manchester years ago - last time I picked up family from airport - they took tram to Altrincham and I picked them up there.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,520 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    EMA. If you head towards the mid stay car parks you will see the departures terminal on your right. As you come level with it there is a pull in for a buss stop. Pull in there to drop off and pick up, free and closer to the terminal than the official rip off place.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,934 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    stoneman wrote: »
    EMA. If you head towards the mid stay car parks you will see the departures terminal on your right. As you come level with it there is a pull in for a buss stop. Pull in there to drop off and pick up, free and closer to the terminal than the official rip off place.

Would that not be in contravention of the Highway Code regarding stopping, unloading, parking at a bus stop?

Rule 243 -
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-parking-238-to-252
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family