Carers Go Free

Options
Hello

Have holiday to Blackpool booked for August - myself (mum/carer) and 13 yr old son (has DLA for ASD).

We’re staying for 4 nights so I’m looking to buy (probably) the Resort Pass Plus ahead online.

I’m having a lot of difficulty working out what is best cost effective though. Has anyone been in my situation before? If so, please could you kindly answer a few questions?

Can you buy a carer’s version of the pass plus?

If not, does it work out cheaper to buy one pass for your child and pay on the door for yourself (baring in mind some will be carers go free)?

Pass Plus costs £85 and gives entry to:

Blackpool Pleasure beach, Blackpool Tower, Blackpool Zoo, Sandlecastle Water Park, Madam Tussauds, Blackpool Model Village and SeaLife Centre!

Thanks in advance for any tips or personal experience! I’ve seen 2 for 1 offers on cereal boxes in the past but I don’t know if they are for the Pleasure Beach only or for the entire Resort Pass?

Thank you :)

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 June 2019 at 5:00PM
    Options
    Carers do not go free for the resort pass plus or for the blackpool pleasure beach. For the please beach a carer can purchase a discounted ticket at the junior rate.

Information on the pleasure beach entry for carers is here https://www.blackpoolpleasurebeach.com/accessibility/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Unless its changed in the last couple of years the sea life centre at Blackpool is rubbish.
  • Mumum
    Mumum Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for both of your replies. Since posting, I managed to get through to Blackpool Tourism who pretty much confirmed what you said, that you can’t go as carer when the disabled person is using the pass. This is due to the pass already being heavily discounted.

Apparently, the tourist dep, having dealt with this sort of enquiry before, had already worked out that, in this scenario, it is cheaper to just buy individual tickets. This suits us as we can be more flexible with the places we visit rather than the set ones on the pass.

Oh and I agree re the sea life centre as we have one in Bournemouth which we visited recently and it wasn’t really that good. Anyway hopefully this thread may help anyone else in our situation going to Blackpool as it really has been a minefield trying to work it all out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Believe it or not, I have been doing exactly the same calculations (as a carer taking my son to Blackpool). Fortunately/unfortunately there's a lot of the 'amusements' my son won't want to go to so I had less to check.

Blackpool Zoo is a quite inexpensive when you have proof of disabilities.
  • Mumum
    Mumum Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @ deannatrois, I read that Merlin Entertainments are being bought out by a different company. Much of the Blackpool entertainment is owned by Merlin and it is Merlin who do the carers go free. I’ll be ringing them Monday to confirm we will still be able to use our carers concession and will update here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure