PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Feeling I have overpaid

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    What's 0.5 of a toilet? Is it like the washbasin in pieces that was delivered to me a few weeks ago? I sent that back and got a whole one instead; much more practical.

But seriously, everyone feels a bit odd when they buy a new-to-them house or car, so the reality rarely lives up to the dream. As time goes by, you'll know better how your life fits into this house, and if after a couple of years you think it doesn't, it won't be a cosmetic stain that makes you feel that way.

Houses are like people; sometimes visually nothing special, but they gradually reveal their strengths, if they have them.

Our last house was bought as the best of a mediocre bunch, yet we came to love it, warts and all. Our current house was bought just to be a safe place for our money in turbulent times and I disliked it for the first 2 years, but again, the strengths shone though, so we stayed and spent money on it.

No promises , but just give it time.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    HOw long have you been in the place, it always feels strange to start with.

Wait till you see those more recent sales hit the land reg that's the reality of what people are paying.

At £300k, £10k is just noise(3%).
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I remember going to bed in tears the day I completed on my first flat - I felt totally overwhelmed and wondered why on earth I had done it. It didn't last long though and, although I sold quickly (cos I had met and moved in with Mr hb2) I never actually regretted my purchase.

OP, I hope you will be very happy in your new home but I think that is more likely if you stop looking at RightMove!
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    lalala1512 wrote: »
    Being a girl with absolutely no family around and a hectic work life obviously didn’t help me much haha.
    The pink-fluffy-helpless card doesn't work these days. Equality works both ways.

And you don't need paint everything at once... One coat on a couple of walls one evening, another coat the next evening.
    I know I could have done the painting myself but then the time and effort involved put me off :rotfl:
    And that's a choice you are, of course, perfectly free to make - you choose to save time and effort by spending money.
  • lalala1512
    lalala1512 Posts: 15 Forumite
    @AdrianC
    No need to be harsh as I have not really complained about this or blame it on anyone :) As you have said, it was my choice so not really sure what you are trying to make out of this? I didn’t blame anyone and I even admitted it was me wanting so save time and effort :)
  • lalala1512
    lalala1512 Posts: 15 Forumite
    @Davesnae
    It is a term used to refer to a cloakroom :)

Yeah, I will probably give it some more time but honestly I was feeling very much regretting especially in the first month. The feeling stopped after 2 months but now it resurfaces probably because I was looking at the other houses’ prices.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bless you OP, nearly everyone has a bit of a wobble when they finally commit to a large purchase of something with so much choice and so many variables. You wonder if there was something a tiny bit bigger, a bit cheaper, a bit glossier, a bit better located if only you'd waited a bit longer.

Just stay away from Rightmove and nest in what you have :) There is nothing like the security of your own home.

Less is more if you have small rooms so have a big clear out - if you need to keep a lot of stuff consider storage, cost permitting.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    We purchased our house last year for what we believed to be a very cheap price. The sellers based it on what next door sold for 2 years previously. This was August.
    In November a friend from work purchased the identical house, 5 doors up for £10k less. This was mostly because it was being sold for a divorce settlement and needed some work.
    In April next door sold (the one our vendor based their price on), it sold for £30k more.

This is one small cul de sac with 15 houses.

Somewhere in the middle is the 'right' price. I wouldn't stress too much. Enjoy your home.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    lalala1512 wrote: »
    No need to be harsh as I have not really complained about this or blame it on anyone :) As you have said, it was my choice so not really sure what you are trying to make out of this? I didn’t blame anyone and I even admitted it was me wanting so save time and effort :)
    Great, so we're in full agreement that "I'm a girl with no family around" is a total irrelevance... How can it be "harsh" when we agree totally?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    When you own your house, you will have to know DIY as paying for tradesman/tradeswoman to do small things like painting is very costly. Plus if you do it yourself, you know your using quality paint, not rubbish stuff

I used Youtube to learn how to paint, seal and repair small things. I like many people on here have limits, I stop at plastering and exterior repointing etc.

Lots of info on Mr Google on DIY stuff, over time you will have a nice toolbox with everything you need, from a box cutter to wire strippers e.t.c
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport