British Gas mess

Options
nextyeartina
nextyeartina Posts: 756 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I changed from British Gas to Bulb in March. I've always been on prepay meters until I went to Bulb. Being on a credit meter was playing on my mind no end. I asked Bulb about prepay meters but was told they don't do them. I made the decision to go back to British Gas. It was a bit more expensive but it was worth it to me for peace of mind. Oh my gosh, how I wish I'd never bothered!! My electric was taken over by BG on 30th April. Yesterday I got my first electric bill for £192!! I've phoned them countless times to explain that something is seriously wrong here. I'm the first to admit we do use a lot of electric in our house. We're a family of 5 including 3 older children and lots of gadgets always on the go. I was putting in £125 per month when I was with BG before. I'm just going round in circles on the phone. They said I owed them money from when I was with them before which had been included in my bill which was utter rubbish. I was on prepay, had been for years and had £100 credit on my meter when I left. The woman then said they will compensate me £20 for all my trouble and have somebody look at my account again. When I checked my account later my electric was zero and the £192 had been added on to my gas bill!! I phoned again to be told somebody will look again at my account and will be in touch within the next 10 days. I'm honestly worried sick. What's the best way forward with this? Any advice greatly appreciated
The £1,000 emergency fund challenge #163 - £536.16/£1000

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Write a letter headed COMPLAINT in big bold letters detailing your saga in concise paragraphs with a detailed timelime of events and send it to their customer services address which you can find on their website.

As a backup, also send the same thing by email as well.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bulb are offering extremely low prepayment meter tariffs in my area of South Yorks , eg electric at 12 .6 p /kwh and gas at 3.2 p /khw.. This is definitely a prepay tariff...so Bulb certainly do prepayment meters .Check Uswitch comp site to verify
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure