Marella cruise flood compensation query

Options
Hi Friends,
I hope I am posting in the correct forum. My partner, 2 young kids and I just returned from a cruise with Marella / TUI (formerly Thomson). This was our 2nd time on the ship so we knew it was a little old and run down but basically okay.
However, on our 2nd day, I came back to our cabin to discover the bathroom had flooded out with sewage water spewing up from the shower drain. The crew came to fix it but of course, there was sewage water leaked out onto the cabin carpets and the smell -gah!
The next 4 days we had to have a blower and dehumidifier and althought they claimed to have shampooed the carpets, I know they did not. So, it was really gross and I felt unclean being there.
The onboard crew couldn't do anything to help us - we were not given any other room and we had to shower in the public bathrooms while they were repairing our bathroom. Marella really failed us this time.
Of course, when we got back home, I found that this same issue has happened several times to other passengers. What I do not know is what outcome they had from TUI - did they get a full refund? partial? more?
I am writing a full formal complaint but I want to be clear about our expectations and I don't want them to offer something silly. I want to be prepared with evidence of what others have received and demand no less.
Also, we will refuse any offer for another holiday with them - we have lost faith in them.
So, any advice on what we should be asking for in compensation? Any specific laws that I should cite to back up my claim? BTW, we have videos and photos of the damage to show them.
Many thanks everybody!

Comments

• vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You say they did not shampoo the carpets - are you saying there was raw sewage on your carpets and it was just being dried in and you were walking across it etc? I don't think many people would go back into a cabin with sewage in it which has not been cleaned up.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 June 2019 at 9:15AM
    Options
    Shower in the public bathrooms? I don't think the older ships, ie CELEBRATION and SPIRIT have public bathrooms. At least not with showers in them.

Which ship were you on?
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spirit has been taken out of the fleet and scrapped, so I'm guessing Celebration. We have friends that recently sailed on that ship and one of the parties cabin also had a flood, luckily it wasn't sewage. The ship was complete full so moving to another cabin wasn't an option.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I suspect the American use of the term "bathroom"

Most ships have showers in multiple public areas.
    Near the Pool.
    Spa/Gym/Sauna
  • travellerboy
    travellerboy Posts: 797 Forumite
    Options
    There's no point in asking for compensation as all they will give you at best is a Money-off Voucher for another cruise with them. Throw in the towel it's not worth the hassle and put it down to experience.
    We learnt that years ago Thomson/Tui are a bucket basement outfit, go with them at your peril.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's no point in asking for compensation as all they will give you at best is a Money-off Voucher for another cruise with them. Throw in the towel it's not worth the hassle and put it down to experience.
    We learnt that years ago Thomson/Tui are a bucket basement outfit, go with them at your peril.

5 times for us, no problems.
    Is that why they get so much repeat custom?
  • travellerboy
    travellerboy Posts: 797 Forumite
    Options
    Speak as you find I suppose. Even their newest ship is 20 year old and reliability is obviously questionable. Effluent system and air con have seen better days if you read the reviews. Rather you than me I’ll stick to more modern cruise ships.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure