Debt Letters to Unknown Person

Options
Two letters have been sent to our house for people we've never heard of. One the return address seems to be for a debt collection agency, the other is from Aviva marked "Immediate Action Required". The names are different, and if they ever lived here it was at least 25+years ago.

I know the standard advice is "stick it in the postbox marked 'return to sender'", but I've been doing that with bank letters to the people we bought from from for seven years, and the banks have never updated their records. Plus as these appear to be chasing debts I'm worried about the impact on credit files (nothing showing as yet) or even of having bailiffs turn up seeking these people.

Any advice? I've kept the letters for now, though obviously not opened them.

Cheers,
Graham

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 June 2019 at 8:16AM
    Options
    buserian wrote: »
    Two letters have been sent to our house for people we've never heard of. One the return address seems to be for a debt collection agency, the other is from Aviva marked "Immediate Action Required". The names are different, and if they ever lived here it was at least 25+years ago.

I know the standard advice is "stick it in the postbox marked 'return to sender'", but I've been doing that with bank letters to the people we bought from from for seven years, and the banks have never updated their records. Plus as these appear to be chasing debts I'm worried about the impact on credit files (nothing showing as yet) or even of having bailiffs turn up seeking these people.

Cheers,
    Graham

Put them back into the post box.

Debts arent linked to addresses but people.

Your credit files wont be affected as its not your debt.

If bailiffs show up asking if Jim Bob lives there, show them proof you live there.

You could contact said firms and tell them to stop sending the letters but it isnt your job to do that.
  • Housebuy12345
    Options
    ^ive watched too many Pay Or Well Take It away
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ^ive watched too many Pay Or Well Take It away

They all make one big mistake on that program, they open the door to the bailiff.

Keep the door locked, no entry, no action can be taken, no program.

Not your debt, not your problem.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    They all make one big mistake on that program, they open the door to the bailiff.

Keep the door locked, no entry, no action can be taken, no program.

Not your debt, not your problem.

But in this situation, you wouldn't be expecting bailiffs so probably would open the door.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    buserian wrote: »

Criminal offence to withhold or delay mail not addressed to you under Postal Act 2000 punishable with level 1 fine or up to 6 months prison.

Stick not at this address on the front, shove back in post box.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    edited 1 June 2019 at 2:30PM
    Options
    It is only an offence if there is not a reasonable excuse to open the letters. Since the OP has stated that because the letters are clearly from DCAs, they are concerned about the impact to their credit files and the potential for bailiffs to attend their home, that 'may' constitute a reasonable excuse.

Interfering with the mail: general.
    (1) A person commits an offence if, without reasonable excuse, he—

(a) intentionally delays or opens a postal packet in the course of its transmission by post, or
    (b) intentionally opens a mail-bag.

(2) Subsections (2) to (5) of section 83 apply to subsection (1) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.

(3) A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

(4) Subsections (2) and (3) of section 83 (so far as they relate to the opening of postal packets) apply to subsection (3) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.

(5) A person who commits an offence under subsection (1) or (3) shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Criminal offence to withhold or delay mail not addressed to you under Postal Act 2000 punishable with level 1 fine or up to 6 months prison.

Nonsense! ............
  • nick74
    nick74 Posts: 829 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder how bored the police would have to be to investigate and prosecute someone for opening or withholding mail addressed to someone who hadn't lived at their address for 25+ years? It's a struggle to get them to investigate burglaries in some areas.

I've been in a similar situation to the OP and after repeatedly returning mail to sender, and them taking no notice and continuing to send letters I began binning them. I suppose after admitting such a heinous crime on a public forum I should expect a knock at the door from old bill?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    Options
    It is only an offence if there is not a reasonable excuse to open the letters. Since the OP has stated that because the letters are clearly from DCAs, they are concerned about the impact to their credit files and the potential for bailiffs to attend their home, that 'may' constitute a reasonable excuse.
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Nonsense! ............
    nick74 wrote: »
    I wonder how bored the police would have to be to investigate and prosecute someone for opening or withholding mail addressed to someone who hadn't lived at their address for 25+ years? It's a struggle to get them to investigate burglaries in some areas.

I've been in a similar situation to the OP and after repeatedly returning mail to sender, and them taking no notice and continuing to send letters I began binning them. I suppose after admitting such a heinous crime on a public forum I should expect a knock at the door from old bill?

The important sentence is this one :

"without reasonable excuse"

I would say what the OP has done is reasonable.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If something gets posted through my door I open it. Reasonable excuse it was delivered to my address and I should open it to see if fraud is being committed/attempted.

Intending to act to a persons detriment, yes if that person was trying to commit fraud I am guilty.

Had a letter from NPower in someone elses name, thanking them for switching. Glad I found out sooner rather than later.

Neighbour was having their benefits letters sent to my address, handed over the first time but when they continued we sent them back. Who knows what they were trying to do by using our address, multiple claims?

Had someone trying to open a bank account with my address also. Not my details but the application should have failed at the first hurdle I think.

Had car insurance for an unknown name/vehicle also.

Seems a lot reading that back, but its over quite a few years.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure