IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ULEZ fine

Options
I travelled to London a weekend in May and had heard nothing of the ULEZ having begun from the wilds of Norfolk. I went into the congestion zone (also ULEZ zone) briefly on Sunday but didn't notice the sign, didn't see any signs or adverts around London and friends I was staying with who live in London hadn't heard of it. Have we all been living in a dream or have they really not advertised this new scheme enough? I didn't realise I had to pay the £12.50 (I am quite happy to do something to help reduce emissions but I didn't know) and now have a whopping fine which will double if I don't pay up soon. I knew all about the congestion charge starting, despite being in Norfolk, and of course there were the huge red Cs on the road and signs aplenty which grabbed attention. A small sign next to an existing congestion charge sign was not noticed by us. Have I got any grounds for appeal? The rules they sent me say no, my car was not stolen, being hired etc etc. But I feel it is unfair and wonder how I can counter the fine? Any ideas?

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As we major on private parking tickets here, PePiPoo will be your best bet for council tickets. Register there (but please note that a hotmail address won't work - try using a throwaway gmail account instead if you do have trouble registering) and post a new thread; here's your link:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received from the council (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.

PePiPoo has an excellent success record in dealing with council tickets.

HTH
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Have we all been living in a dream or have they really not advertised this new scheme enough? I didn't realise I had to pay the £12.50 (I am quite happy to do something to help reduce emissions but I didn't know) and now have a whopping fine which will double if I don't pay up soon.
    We have found that contacting DartCharge (a similar fine) by phone or email or facebook, or Twitter, gets the fine removed and they let first offenders just pay the tariff they missed.

So find a way to contact ULEZ and ask, very politely, explaining what you said to us. I think they will be reasonable as it is new. Let is know if it works and do it soon, early next week.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Jglocke
    Options
    Was there an outcome for this? We have been hit in exactly the same situation, except we got two fines for going for a meal before midnight and coming out after midnight. We had no idea about this and didn’t notice any signs. We have just lost our appeal and there don’t seem to be any grounds with the adjudicator
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jglocke, please read and follow the guidance offered by Umkomaas and Coupon-mad above.
  • Jglocke
    Options
    Thanks

I’ll do both and see. Will call the ULEZ team first though as they have already rejected my appeal I suspect they won’t be willing to / be able to reconsider that decision. Strikes me that at the adjudicator, they would be even less likely to consider mitigating circumstances.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jglocke wrote: »
    Strikes me that at the adjudicator, they would be even less likely to consider mitigating circumstances.
    I have no idea.

I wonder if what strikes you fits with reality? ;)

Ask Pepipoo.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport