Censorship?

Options

Comments

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah, the old 'An American colleague' excuse :)
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    isp's shouldn't be censoring anything without a top judges ruling.

The law says they have to "censor", the only time a judge would come into it is if the ISP or a customer decides to challenge the law. I'm not aware of that having happened yet.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 1 June 2019 at 3:35PM
    Options

What am I missing?

30 years old "schoolgirls", stepmothers who get stuck in strange places and cleaners who turn up to work wearing very inappropriate clothing.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    30 years old "schoolgirls", stepmothers who get stuck in strange places and cleaners who turn up to work wearing very inappropriate clothing.

Allegedly...
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    This is a list of the sites blocked in the uk, probably not complete though. Seems more about copyright, than !!!!!! or children, but only officially to the big five isps - was determined by the number of subscribers.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_websites_blocked_in_the_United_Kingdom
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

The government introduced legislation making it a legal requirement for adult filtering to be opt-out. Given nobody has challenged this in court it seems to not be a problem.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I've heard about the "stuck" !!!!!!, always seems a bit bizarre niche sort of thing given the setups I've seen but whatever floats your boat
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

An ISP is a private entity, they can block whatever they like. The current !!!!!! "ban" going through the UK will require you to identify yourself in some way to the !!!!!! sites to prove you are old enough to see it. That's ridiculous government level censorship but what can you do? I already downloaded Tor in preparation because I don't see why the UK government has the right try and control what I can and can't watch in my home
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,233 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    The current !!!!!! "ban" going through the UK will require you to identify yourself in some way to the !!!!!! sites to prove you are old enough to see it. That's ridiculous government level censorship but what can you do? I already downloaded Tor in preparation because I don't see why the UK government has the right try and control what I can and can't watch in my home
    Seems that has followed Brexit into long grass, usual government being miles behind any 15 year old with tech knowledge
    " unable to enforce the totalitarian !!!!!! Laws if browsers such as Firefox and Chrome roll out DNS encryption,"
    https://order-order.com/2019/05/31/freedom-victory-!!!!!!-laws-delayed/
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    I've heard about the "stuck" !!!!!!, always seems a bit bizarre niche sort of thing given the setups I've seen but whatever floats your boat
    Not my boat, my American colleagues boat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure