Probate

Options
My parents took out a interest only mortgage in1986, several weeks later my dad walked out having never paid anything and was never seen again, I took over the mortgage as my mum never worked and became quite ill .In 2007 we changed the title to tenants in common as my mum had to go into care she wouldn’t remove his name from the title because she always thought he would turn up, in 2009 I paid off the original loan. In 2017 my mum died and left me her share of the house but when I went to change the title at the land registry the said I couldn’t because I needed his signature .I started a presumption of death in 2018 and after a long search found out he had died in 2014 in Thailand without leaving a will, I was granted the presumption of death certificate. So with probate is my mum classed as a surviving spouse as she lived 3 yeas longer ? And with inheritance do I put down the fact that he didn’t pay anything so didnt leave any assets ?
Thank you

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    His asset was his share of the house, regardless of him paying nothing.

Your mom would be his surviving widow, assuming they were married, and therefore entitled to your dad's estate as per the intestacy rules in 2014 - which you should be able to find by googling. Depending on the size of the estate you and any siblings would be entitled to a portion of his estate too.

I'm sorry for the loss of your mom, you looked after her well.

I'm also sorry about the loss of your dad, you have closure.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • martyn69
    martyn69 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Yes they were still married and thanks for that reply .
  • Robert_McGeddon
    Options
    martyn69 wrote: »
    Yes they were still married . . . .

Presumably there's no IHT payable on either estate. If there is then your Dads 'debt' in not clearing the mortgage and your contributions to the mortgage may reduce the tax.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Are you the only child?
  • martyn69
    Options
    Yes im the only child
  • martyn69
    Options
    Hi just to confirm your answer when I get probate for my dad, my mum / her estate will inherit my dads share of the house ?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 June 2019 at 4:59PM
    Options
    martyn69 wrote: »
    Hi just to confirm your answer when I get probate for my dad, my mum / her estate will inherit my dads share of the house ?

Do you need probate for your Dad? I thought the Land Registry rep said that the death certificate of the first owner to die was enough to show that the property had become wholly owned by the surviving spouse.
  • martyn69
    Options
    i assumed that i needed probate because it was changed to tenants in common but i will contact the land registry again to confirm ,i do hope its that straight forward.

Thanks again
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,782 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the property was registered in their joint names and one of them dies then the legal ownership passes to the surviving joint owner. Probate is not required for the first deceased.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the property was registered in their joint names and one of them dies then the legal ownership passes to the surviving joint owner. Probate is not required for the first deceased.

Is that the same for tenants in common ? (in this case there is no will and it will be LOA)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure